- 3 quarts vegetable broth
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped with stems (about 2 bunches)
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 large red onion, diced
- 1 heart of celery, diced
- 1 sprig rosemary (6-8 inches long)
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1/4 cup Madeira
- Place broccoli, carrots and potatoes in broth. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer until tender (about 30 minutes).
- Drain vegetables and reserve liquid. Set aside to cool.
- Saute separately red onion and celery heart. Allow to cool.
- In a portion of the reserved liquid, puree all vegetables a little at a time in a blender and return to soup kettle.
- Use a little liquid to grind leaves of rosemary. Add rosemary, white pepper and Madeira to broth.
- Heat to bring to a bubble. Stir and reduce heat to low for 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend while covered.
- Serve hot or refrigerate to serve chilled with a garnish of your choice.
**From Food as a Medicine for the Heart cookbook