Looking for a delicious salad to switch up your normal routine? This salad, created by a UC Davis Health registered dietitian, is perfect for a midday snack.
- 8 oz. salmon fillet
- 2 cups chopped curly kale
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 avocado, sliced (optional)
- 14/ cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp. shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place salmon on prepared baking sheet, skin-side down. Broil until the salmon is opaque in the center, about 8-12 minutes, rotate the pan once from front to back after 5 minutes.
- To prepare the dressing: in a blender, combine the red-wine vinegar, water, sugar, Dijon mustard, garlic clove, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, ground pepper. Puree until smooth, with the motor running, slowly add the extra-virgin olive oil and puree until creamy. (Transfer dressing to container and refrigerate for up to 1 week).
- Combine the kale, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, and almonds together on a dinner plate. Top salad mixture with avocado, pomegranate seeds and/or parmesan cheese, if desired, and salmon fillet once finished baking. Drizzle desired amount of salad dressing over the top and enjoy!
**Recipe modified from eatingwell.com