- 4 diagonally cut slices of French bread (about 1 inch thick)
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped dried apricots, divided
- 1/2 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. nonfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup apricot nectar
- 1 small ripe banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- Cut a slit through the top of each slice of bread to form a pocket. Set aside.
- Combine 1 Tbsp. dried apricots, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl. Stir well.
- Stuff 2 Tbsp. of cheese mixture into the pocket of each slice of bread. Set aside.
- Make sauce: Combine remaining 2 Tbsp. apricots and apricot nectar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in banana. Set aside and keep warm.
- Combine milk and egg substitute in a large shallow dish. Stir well.
- Place stuffed bread in a dish, turning over to coat. Let stand until milk mixture is absorbed.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot.
- Gently add bread to skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Carefull turn bread over and cook for 2 minutes, or until browned.
- Serve with warm apricot sauce.
**Recipe from UC Davis Health's cookbook Food as a Medicine for the Heart.