Disciplining children is one of the most difficult parts of parenting. This podcast discusses reinforcing positive behaviors and working to extinguish negative behaviors across childhood. From ignoring and redirecting to time-outs and grounding, we discuss what strategies work, and why physical punishments can have long term detrimental effects.
This episode written by Dr. Lena van der List and Dr. Dean Blumberg.
- Healthy Children What's the Best Way to Discipline My Child?
- American Academy of Pediatrics policy Spanking and Child Development Across the First Decade of Life
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Locations and Other Keys to Effective Time-Outs
- Zero To Three Toddlers and Biting: Finding the Right Response
- Healthy Children American Academy of Pediatrics Updates Policy on Corporal Punishment
Photo from Virginia Beach GrowSmart