Everyone knows that fruit is good for you, so fruit juice must be too . . . right? Is fruit juice made out of pure fruit, or are there other ingredients of concern? Can too much fruit juice lead to health problems for children? What health conditions may be worsened by fruit juice? Does fruit juice consumption affect dental health? Are there benefits to eating whole fruit compared to fruit juice? How much fruit juice is too much? We discuss fruit juice, the whole fruit and nothing but the truth about fruit juice (plus sippy cups), in this episode.
This episode written by Dr. Dean Blumberg and Dr. Lena Rothstein.
We thank dietitian Staci Collins at UC Davis Children's Hospital for reviewing this topic, although Drs. Dean and Lena are responsible for any errors or misinformation.
- Zero to Three The Truth About Juice
- American Academy of Pediatrics Where We Stand: Fruit Juice
- Jesse Hirsch Arsenic and Lead Are in Your Fruit Juice: What You Need to Know
- American Academy of Pediatrics Fruit Juice and Your Child's Diet
- American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement Fruit Juice in Infants, Children, and Adolescents: Current Recommendations
Photo from Sisters In Health