Talking With Teens: Relationships and Sex - Part 2
Talking to your child and teen about healthy relationships and sexuality is never an easy conversation, but it is an important one. In this podcast we talk with psychologist Dr. Brandi Liles about discussing and modeling healthy relationships, teaching the importance of consent, exploring healthy sexuality and the very difficult topic of sexual abuse and trauma.
This episode written by Drs. Brandi Liles, Lena van der List and Dean Blumberg.
We thank Brandi D. Liles, PhD, a psychologist at the CAARE Diagnostic and Treatment Center with UC Davis Children's Hospital, for joining us for this episode, although Drs. Lena and Dean take full responsibility for any errors or misinformation.
- Healthy Children Dating & Sex
- love is respect Have questions about your relationship?
- One Love Love Better
- San Francisco State University Family Acceptance Project
- Clayton Cranford Parenting in the Digital World: A Step-by-Step Guide to Internet Safety
- Lea Lis No Shame: Real Talk With Your Kids About Sex, Self-Confidence, and Healthy Relationships
- The Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Policies and Programs: An Updated Position Paper of the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine
- RAINN About the National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline
Dr. Liles’ list of recommended books:
- For young children
- Robie H. Harris: It's Not the Stork!: A Book About Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families and Friends
- Robie H. Harris: It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families
- Jayneen Sanders: Let's Talk About Body Boundaries, Consent and Respect: Teach children about body ownership, respect, feelings, choices and recognizing bullying behaviors
- Robert D. Edelman: My Private Parts are Private!: A Guide for Teaching Children about Safe Touching
- For school age children:
- Sonya Renee Taylor and Bianca I. Laureano: Celebrate Your Body (and Its Changes, Too!): The Ultimate Puberty Book for Girls (Celebrate Your Body, 1)
- Robie H. Harris and Michael Emberley: It's Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health
- Joanna Cole and Bill Thomas: Asking About Sex & Growing Up: A Question-and-Answer Book for Kids
- Sam Gitchel: Let's Talk About S-E-X: A Guide for Kids 9 to 12 and Their Parents
- For adolescents:
- Heather Corinna: E.X., second edition: The All-You-Need-To-Know Sexuality Guide to Get You Through Your Teens and Twenties
- Jennifer Lang MD: Consent: The New Rules of Sex Education: Every Teen's Guide to Healthy Sexual Relationships
- Barrie Levy: In Love and In Danger: A Teen's Guide to Breaking Free of Abusive Relationships
- Kris Gowen: Making Sexual Decisions: The Ultimate Teen Guide (It Happened to Me)
Dr. Liles’ list of other helpful websites:
- Child Abuse/Sexual Abuse/Sexual Assault
- Internet Safety/Digital World
- Trauma Treatment Resources
Photo from the shine365