Sun exposure and sunburns increase the risk of skin cancer. That’s why it’s important to protect the skin of children from harmful UV rays. In this episode we discuss choosing the right sunscreen, how to apply it effectively, why to avoid tanning beds, the importance of sunglasses, how to treat sunburn and some ways to limit overall sun exposure. What about the “base tan” or the use of sunless tanners? We discuss this too. Don’t get burned, listen to this episode instead.
This episode written by Drs. Samantha Goggin, Lena van der List and Dean Blumberg.
- Health Children Sun Safety: Information for Parents About Sunburn & Sunscreen
- Healthy Children Baby Sunburn Prevention
- Healthy Children Sunburn: Treatment and Prevention
- Healthy Children Tanning and Tanning Salon Safety Tips for Young People
- Safer Sun The Five S's of Sun Safety
- The American Academy of Dermatology How to Apply Self-Tanner
Photo from UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland