Swimming and water sports are summer favorites for many kids and families. However, drowning is a leading cause of death in pediatrics leading many parents to be justifiably worried about the risks associated with water play. What are strategies that families can implement to prevent pediatric drowning? What age groups are most at risk for drowning related injury and why? When should you start your child in swim lessons and what should you look for in a swim program? All of these topics and more discussed in this episode discussing water safety.
This episode written by Dr. Lena Rothstein and Dr. Dean Blumberg.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Water Safety and Drowning Prevention
- The Drowning Prevention Foundation Protect Your Child Against Bathtub Drownings! Bathtub Rings & Seats
- Healthy Children Swim Lessons: When to Start & What Parents Should Know
- American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Prevention of Drowning
- American Red Cross Child and Baby First Aid/CPR/AED Online Course