Cindy Valencia, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Operations Director; CA Quits
Dr. Cindy Valencia joined CHPR in September 2020 and is the Operations Director of CA Quits. CA Quits is a statewide project funded by the California Tobacco Control Program, which supports the integration of tobacco treatment into health systems in partnership with the California Department of Health Care Services. She brings over a decade of experience working in public health practice at the Western Center for Agricultural Health and Safety, the California Department of Public Health, and the Merced County Health Department. She has worked on a wide variety of public health efforts, from tobacco prevention, alcohol and other drugs risk reduction, chronic disease prevention, nutrition education, obesity prevention, healthcare access, whole-person care, maternal, child and adolescent health and pediatric emergency medicine research. Raised in the Central Valley, Dr. Valencia is committed to leveraging her experience to affect public policy in underserved communities of color, like the Central Valley.
- Qualitative research methods
- Leadership and project management
- Grant writing
- Health disparities
- Latino health
- Tobacco control policy and cessation systems-change
- Ph.D., Public Health, University of California, Davis
- M.P.H., University of California, Davis
- B.A.S., Psychology and Chicano/Latino Studies, University of California, Davis
- Valencia CV, Dove MS, Tong EK. Factors related to receipt of smoking cessation advice and assistance among Latino and Non-Latino white smokers with Medicaid Insurance in California. University of California, Davis; 2021.