The Center for Healthcare Policy and Research (CHPR) facilitates research activities in the areas of health policy, healthcare delivery, quality, and comparative effectiveness.
Under the direction of Joy Melnikow, M.D., M.P.H., the CHPR is a valuable resource to researchers in these areas who need assistance in grants development, project implementation and management, or financial administration. CHPR offeres members services that connect them with our experienced teams to move research projects through all phases, from proposal to final reporting, and everything in-between.
Support Services for Principal Investigators
Our grants development team members are familiar with a variety of funding agency requirements and can navigate the maze of paperwork and online submission materials that typically accompany calls for proposals.
Team members obtain ongoing training to assure that they are knowledgeable in the most current requirements, both from funding agencies and from the UC Davis Office of Research.
The grants development team has experience responding to calls from a variety of U.S. federal, state and private funding agencies, including
- The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- The National Institutes of Mental Health (NIMH)
- American Cancer Society (ACS)
- UC Berkeley California Program on Access to Care (CPAC)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
CHPR has merged with the Center for Healthcare Decisions (CHCD) who uses public deliberation and stakeholder engagement approaches to advance healthcare that reflects the values of an informed public.
CHCD public deliberation services include:
- Identifying challenging health policy issues for which informed public input plays a role.
- Helping other healthcare stakeholders – community leaders, healthcare organizations, and policymakers – identify the healthcare issues that are relevant to their constituents.
- Producing, implementing and evaluating customized non-partisan deliberative processes that meet the needs of our partners and clients.
- Communicating relevant project findings to inform the work of policymakers and healthcare leaders through presentations, professional publications, and social media.
- Educating diverse professional and lay groups on the concept of social decision-making in the healthcare arena through the use of interactive discussion groups.
Our staff includes seasoned managers who are familiar with the requirements of conducting research related to health services.
CHPR project managers work with investigators and stakeholders (both internal and external) to oversee skilled teams of researchers, research assistants, analysts and biostatisticians, all with specialized expertise in research on health services, health policy, healthcare quality and cost-effectiveness research.
Nowhere is the unique nature of academic research more fully apparent than in the often-frustrating area of financial management. Our financial managers are adept at working with the special needs associated with complicated research budgets. We proactively work with investigators to make sure projects stay on track and within budget.