Introduction to Precepting
8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Course # DAHS-NLSIP18-ANCC
This class will be held virtually. Accommodations for learners in need of space/laptop or Wi-Fi access will be available on a first-come-first-serve basis. Contact course coordinators for accommodation instructions.
This virtual 2-day series is for preceptors interested in taking their role to the next level. The course is intended for new preceptors and experienced preceptors interested in developing their knowledge, skills, and practice in precepting. This series consists of two 6-hour classes, which will provide you with key concepts for establishing working relationships with preceptees, provide tools to get started as a successful preceptor, outline the qualifications of a competent preceptor, and more. Participants must take all classes in this series to receive continuing education contact hours.
- Introduction to preceptor roles
- Adult learning styles and principles
- Developing a precepting plan
- Steps towards becoming a competent preceptor
- 360 Communication: establishing the relationship
- Precepting and teaching strategies
- Introduction to precepting essentials
- Feedback and Evaluation
- Enhancing and stimulating critical thinking
- Communication tools for a successful preceptor preceptee relationship
- Preceptor resources
- Stress and self-care when precepting
Prerequisites and preparation
- Participants should have at least one year of nursing experience.
- Prior to the class, participants must complete the pre-series assessment.
Virtual session requirements
The virtual format of the class is a blend of synchronous and asynchronous class sessions. The synchronous sessions will take place via the video conferencing option of Microsoft Teams in a live format that allows for discussions, breakout rooms, chats, and polls. The asynchronous sessions take place via independent time to review the required materials and complete the required assignments in Microsoft Teams.
To prepare for this class do the following prior to class:
- Download Microsoft Teams.
- Download the latest version of Microsoft Edge for best browser result.
- Access the “Date Virtual Introduction to Precepting” Team in Microsoft Teams prior to class. Course coordinators will provide the learner with an access code 3 days prior to the class.
- Ensure access to audio and speaker on desktop/laptop or Smart device (may use call-in option for audio/speaker).
- Follow the virtual participation guidelines, including being on camera, engaging in activities, and attesting to participation.
Be courteous and on time. Students are expected to attend and participate in the entire course. Due to the specific requirements for this virtual course, participants will not be allowed to attend the session if they are more than 5 minutes late. Late participants are considered a no show and any deposit will be forfeited.
C.E. contact hours
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider number CEP 26, for 11.41 contact hours.
The UC Davis Health Center for Professional Practice of Nursing is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Attendees must attend all days to receive C.E. credit. Attendees will not receive C.E. credit if they are more than 5 minutes late; no partial credit can be awarded.
Please select a class date above and complete the registration form. If using a credit card, submit the registration form and phone in your credit card number to (916) 734-9790. If paying by check, please print the registration form, attach your check made payable to UC Regents dated for the date of the class, and mail to:
Center for Professional Practice of Nursing
4900 Broadway, Suite 1630
Sacramento, CA 95820
Registrations are confirmed only if deposit or fee is provided with registration form.
UC Davis employees
$25 registration deposit. Registration deposit is returned upon completion of class. Cancellation must be requested five days prior to class date to receive deposit refund.
This class is for UC Davis Health employees only.
Registration closes three days before the class date.
Persons with disabilities
Individuals needing special accommodations may call the Center for Professional Practice of Nursing at (916) 734-9790.