Recognize, Respond and Rescue
Session 1: 8 a.m. to Noon
Session 2: 1 to 5 p.m.
Davis I Building, Suite 1200
Course # DAHS-NADRRR19-SIM-ANCC
The Recognize, Respond and Rescue class is designed to assist acute care nurses in developing the confidence, technical skills and critical thinking skills in recognizing, responding and rescuing the unstable patient. This course will provide you with the knowledge, skills and application to practice tools and resources in a blended/interactive environment. In addition, this course will provide the acute care nurse the necessary skills needed to prevent and manage code blue situations prior to the arrival of the code blue team.
Prerequisites and preparation
- Review the following policies (60 minutes). Identify at least 3 learning points from your reading and be prepared to answer question in pre-assessment survey.
- Rapid Response Team (Policy 6013)
- Patient Care Services Structure Standards: Escalation Process/Chain of Command, page 14
- Airway Management for Adults (Policy 17003)
- Oxygen Administration (Policy 6018)
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED-Zoll) (Policy 6005)
- Responding to Medical Emergency Situations (Including Code Blue) (Policy 6006)
- Nursing Intervention in the Event of Certain Medical Emergencies in Adult Patients (Main Hospital)
- Nursing Intervention in the Event of Certain Medical Emergencies in Adult Patients (Ambulatory Clinics)
- Complete the following evaluation before class, after class and 3 months after attending class:
- Complete the following modules:
- Reflect and be prepared to discuss the following in class:
- Recent code blue experience
- Describe a recent code blue experience; How did you manage the situation? What was your experience like? What did you take away from the experience? What would you change? What would you keep doing?
- Recent experience caring for an unstable patient
- Describe a recent experience caring for an unstable patient? How did you manage the situation? What was your experience like? What did you take away from the experience? What would you change? What would you keep doing?
- Recent code blue experience
*Modules are to be completed no more than 30 days prior to class. Participants must bring verification of their completed modules. Participants may bring their UC Learning Center training transcript as proof or show their training transcript using the SumTotal Mobile app.
Please dress in hospital scrubs or clinical work attire as participants will work hands-on with a human patient simulator.
C.E. contact hours
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider number CEP 26, for 6.75 contact hours.
The UC Davis Health Center for Professional Practice of Nursing is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Attendees will not receive C.E. credit if they are more than 5 minutes late; no partial credit can be awarded.
Please select a class date above and complete the registration form. If using a credit card, submit the registration form and phone in your credit card number to (916) 734-9790. If paying by check, please print the registration form, attach your check made payable to UC Regents dated for the date of the class, and mail to:
Center for Professional Practice of Nursing
4900 Broadway, Suite 1630
Sacramento, CA 95820
Registrations are confirmed only if deposit or fee is provided with registration form.
UC Davis employees
$25 registration deposit. Registration deposit is returned upon completion of class. Cancellation must be requested five days prior to class date to receive deposit refund.
This class is for UC Davis Health employees only.
Persons with disabilities
Individuals needing special accommodations may call the Center for Professional Practice of Nursing at (916) 734-9790.
Parking is available in parking lots 14, 16 and the staff parking structure with a UC Davis parking permit. A daily permit is available for purchase for $6 from the kiosks in lots 14 (2nd Ave. & 45th St.) and 16 (2nd Ave. & Stockton Blvd.) or through the Flowbird Parking app.