UC Davis Chancellor Gary S. May cordially invites health system employees to attend a virtual groundbreaking event on Tuesday, June 16 at 4:30 p.m. to celebrate the future home of the Ernest E. Tschannen Eye Institute building.
The live event celebrates the first phase of construction of the new facility and honors the donors whose generous contributions have supported the UC Davis Eye Center’s mission to find cures for blinding eye diseases.
The 67,000-square-foot institute will be located adjacent to the Lawrence J. Ellison Ambulatory Care Center and will be completed in 2022. It was specifically designed for patients and Eye Center specialists who have provided outstanding care, educated thousands of doctors and conducted collaborative research over the past 50 years.
A few of the design highlights include:
- Waiting room and clinic spaces that radiate comfort, inspire patients throughout their visit
- Windows that bring in diffuse daylight
- High-contrast colors and textures to increase wayfinding, navigation for patients with common vision disorders – glaucoma, cataracts, and macular degeneration
- Patterns and views that connect with nature
- Furnishings similar to a home environment
- Optical shop and outdoor space
The institute also improves clinic workflow and will house the new Center for Ocular Regenerative Therapy. The state-of-the-art clinic will assess genetic causes of eye disease and ultimately provide gene therapy approaches for patients with disorders that, until now, have had no effective treatment.
Join the UC Davis Eye Center to celebrate this initial construction milestone and learn more about the new facility and how it will transform eye health!
Event link will be emailed to you the morning of the event. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-754-226