Graduates of International Medical Schools must meet all California Medical Board licensing requirements for either a Post Graduate Training License (PTL) or a California Physician’s and Surgeon’s License, and any J-1 visa sponsorship requirements (if applicable).

  • Visas: A clinical J-1 visa is required for admission to UC Davis Health residency and fellowship training programs. The visa can only be sponsored by ECFMG, which requires passage of USMLE Steps 1 and 2. Applicants on a J-1 with a waiver from the Department of State (DOS) can only be accepted into our programs on an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or J-1 visa Physician Program.

 Effective January 1, 2020:

  • The California Medical Board will no longer issue Postgraduate Training Authorization Letters (PTAL) to international medical school graduates. As a result, international medical school graduates applying for the 2020 residency match will not require a PTAL and may apply for residency through the Electronic Residency Application Service.
  • International Medical Schools: The California Medical Board will recognize an international medical school as meeting the educational requirements for a PTL/licensure, if the school is listed on the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) and the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education (FAIMER) and Research World Directory of Medical Schools joint directory or the World Directory of Medical Schools.
  • For more information please see Key Information Regarding California GME Licensure Requirements.

For more information please email Lori Simperman | or Jacqueline Onyon |