Educational Modifications and Rights

Some people with ADHD struggle with accessing their educational and school programs. When this occurs, there are many resources that can be help students to succeed. Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) and 504 Plans are two options for obtaining accommodations and modifications that will be further discussed below.

2 main laws protect students with disabilities, including those with ADHD.

  • The Individuals with Disabilities Act of 1997, also known as IDEA, is a special education law that guarantees a free and appropriate education in the lease restrictive environment possible.
    • Used to inform Individualized Education Program (IEP) for students that qualify for special education services
    • IEP is a written document with specific goals, supports, and services for the individual child
    • What is an IEP? From »
  • Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a civil rights law designed to protect the rights of individuals with disabilities in programs and activities receiving federal funding including public schools and institutions of higher education.
    • Used to inform 504 Plans for students that do not qualify for special education services, but still some support
    • 504 Plans typically allow for accommodations to help a student learn but do not provide changes to the material learned
    • What are 504 Plans? From »
  • The Difference Between IEP and 504 Plan from »

Students often have difficulty obtaining the supports needed to succeed at school. Here are several resources that may be helpful in this situation.

Children with ADHD often have more difficulty learning in school than those without ADHD. Modifications to the material being taught and accommodations in how the material is presented can make a large impact in the success of children with ADHD.

The transition from high school to college can be a daunting task for those with ADHD. It is important to be aware of the accommodations available for those with ADHD when preparing for college. College students with ADHD can access accommodations and resources through their college or university Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS) office.