Ricky Norwood, D.N.P., M.S.B.H., R.N., F.N.P.-B.C.
Assistant Clinical Professor
Ricky Norwood is an assistant clinical professor for the Master of Science – Nurse Practitioner and Master of Health Services – Physician Assistant degree programs at the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis. In a unique dual academic and clinical appointment, Norwood divides his time between the School of Nursing and the Sacramento County Health Department. As a nurse practitioner, he provides clinical services at the county clinic for 80 percent of his time and leads classroom instruction and clinical precepting for School of Nursing students the remaining 20 percent.
With a focus on health promotion, disease prevention and wellness of patients and their families, Norwood brings more than 19 years of nursing experience with a background in family practice health care, trauma nursing, surgical nursing and military nursing. Prior to joining the School of Nursing, Norwood served as a part-time associate professor at Samuel Merritt University in Sacramento, California. He retired in the grade of major from the U.S. Army in December 2010, after serving 21 distinguished years.
Norwood graduated from the University of Texas at El Paso with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree in 1995. He received a direct commission in the United States Army Nurse Corps and attended the Officer Basic Course at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. Upon completion, he worked as an operating room nurse at military installations in South Carolina, Texas and South Korea.
Norwood graduated from the University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, Texas, with a Master of Science in Nursing, with a focus in perioperative trauma nursing, in 2003. He earned a Master of Science in Nursing in 2006 from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, and went on to receive his Doctor of Nursing Practice in 2013 and Master of Science in Behavioral Health in 2018 from the University of San Francisco.
Norwood has received several awards and commendations, including the Meritorious Service Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal and the Brigadier General Lillian Dunlap Award for Clinical Leadership and Clinical Excellence, the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Dean's Award for Research Excellence and the UC Davis Health Dean's Award for Excellence in Community Engagement.