Pediatric Resident Wellness
In order to provide the best care to our patients and families, we believe that we also need to care for ourselves. To support our pediatric residents to care for themselves, we provide the following curricula, activities and resources to help support our residents’ wellness:
- Annual retreats for each resident year
- Annual half-day wellness retreats for each resident year
- Wellness half-days twice a year - We recognize that residency may make it difficult to fit in annual well person exams or dental appointments. We give each resident 2 wellness half-days each year to schedule weekday appointments to prioritize self-care (including read a book at a café, sleeping in, getting a massage . . .). We work with residents who may require more frequent appointments to make time in their schedule to allow for those appointments.
- Annual Gogo Wellness Grand Rounds in honor of Dr. Albina Gogo, a former Associate Program Director who championed resident wellness and founded the Pediatric Resident Well-Being Committee.
- Monthly Wellness Morning Report
- Monthly Pediatric Wellness activities
Inter-class Houses – Residents are assigned to one of 4 Houses. Each House consists of 2-3 Faculty Head of House and 3-4 residents from each year to allow residents to form longitudinal relationships with faculty and residents outside of the clinical setting.
- Faculty and resident advisors – Residents are assigned a faculty advisor and a resident peer advisor (Big Sib). Residents meet with their faculty advisor 2-3 times a year to discuss their career goals, residency progress, and Individualized Learning Plans.
- Encourage Gratitude – Residents and faculty appreciate residents through OWLs (Outstanding Wonderful Leader) recognitions.
- Celebrate each other’s accomplishments – Recognition of individual resident accomplishments during Program Director meetings, chief resident newsletters, and Department of Pediatrics meetings.
- Regular communication – Monthly Program Director – Chief Resident – Resident meetings to discuss ways to improve the UC Davis pediatric residency program (increased to weekly meetings when needed to support residents and communicate pediatric response during COVID-19 pandemic). Twice a week Chief Resident Newsletters to residents
- Free Zumba classes taught by one of our faculty (currently via Zoom)
- Free snacks / drinks stocked in the Sugawara Library for residents
- Pediatric Resident Well-Being Committee – opportunities to join the Pediatric Resident Well-Being Committee and/or the Medical Staff Well-Being Committee
- EMR Efficiency Training
- Financial Wellness advising
- Free, confidential counseling services, including evenings and Saturdays
- Academic and Staff Assistance Program (ASAP)
- Crisis support
- Medical Staff Well-Being Committee
- Ombuds Office for conflict resolution
- Discounts on services
- Competitive Salary and Benefits
- UC Living Fit Forever – Free Fitness and Wellness program
- GME Exercise Room in the hospital
- Health coaching
- Free fitness classes
- GME flyer of important resources
- Support U Peer Responder Program