Spinal Cord Injury Clinic
At the UC Davis Medical Center we offer rehabilitation services for people who have suffered a spinal cord injury. These services are offered to both inpatients and outpatients . Our overall goal is to help patients become as independent and self-reliant as possible and obtain a healthy and active lifestyle.
The Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) service is the only one of its kind in inland northern California that provides integrated comprehensive management to patients with spinal cord injuries and diseases. A full spectrum of comprehensive diagnostic and patient management services are available.
The staff of the Spinal Cord Injury Clinic at the UC Davis Medical Center are trained professionals with extensive experience working with patients in SCI rehabilitation. In addition to the trained rehabilitation medicine hospital staff, the patient is seen by a physician who has had post-graduate medical training in rehabilitation medicine.
In addition to the regular clinic staff other specialists are available for consultation and treatment as needed in disciplines such as Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Social Work and Prosthetics and Orthotics through the UC Davis Medical Center.
What to expect
Your first visit to our SCI Clinic will include a physical evaluation, medical history and it may be necessary to obtain laboratory tests, x-rays and consultations with other specialists. Our clinic staff will then plan the proper care and rehabilitation plan to help you cope with your challenges as an individual with SCI.
What to Bring
- Copies of pertinent medical records, recent tests, evaluations and/or x-rays
- Any assistive devices you may use such as braces, walkers or a wheelchair
- A list of all the medications you are currently taking
- The name and address of your primary care provider
Services and Treatments Available
- Intensive care for the acute management of patients with spinal cord injuries
- Rehabilitation unit staffed by nurses, therapists and physicians specially trained in the acute and chronic management of patients with spinal cord injuries
- Ambulatory clinic facilities for consistent, routine patient follow-up
Contact and Referral Information
Health care professionals who wish to refer a patient to the UC Davis Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinic should call 800-4-UCDAVIS or 800-482-3284
Patients who would like more information about the clinic should call 916-734-7041.