Once a work-related injury has been reported to the employer, a claim is filed through the third-party administrator, Sedgwick. A claim may be accepted, delayed, or denied based on specific parameters designated by the state of California. A limited amount of medical treatment will be provided while this determination is being made, regardless of the outcome. The injured worker will be kept informed throughout the entire process through communication from Sedgwick. The workers’ compensation system functions within state mandated regulations.

Sedgwick is the third-party administrator for the University of California’s self-insured program. Sedgwick may be reached at 916-771-2900 for any questions or concerns regarding your workers’ compensation claim.

Workers' Compensation benefits are afforded to employees of the University of California whose injury or illness arises out of and occurs within the course and scope of their employment. Employees covered through UC Davis Health:

  • Career
  • Casual
  • Faculty
  • Part-Time
  • Other employees who have an appointment in the UC Davis Health payroll system

Students, volunteers, contractors, vendors (and their employees) are not employees of the University of California and would seek benefits from their employers should they become injured.

A covered individual who has an injury or illness arising out of and in the course of employment can receive medical treatment, disability payments, and other benefits as described by the California Labor Code.

In the event of a work-related injury or illness an employee may designate a personal physician for initial and ongoing medical treatment. The Designation of Physician Form must be submitted to the home department and workers’ compensation unit prior to any work-related injury or illness to be considered valid. The designated physician must sign the form, be a physician who previously provided treatment to the injured worker and have in their possession the employee's medical records and medical history. Unless a Designation of Physician Form is on file at the time of injury or illness, the employee is required to receive treatment at Employee Health Services during the first 30 days from the date the injury was reported. If medical care is in dispute or an employee wishes to change providers, they must contact Sedgwick.

For injuries occurring after January 1, 2013, the employer has 60 days to offer work following receipt of a report from a PTP, AME or QME finding that the disability from all accepted conditions has become permanent and stationary, and that the injury has caused permanent partial disability. If there is no report indicating permanent partial disability, an employee is not be entitled to the voucher.

When an employee goes out on Workers’ Compensation Leave due to a work-related injury or illness, they have the option to elect to supplement temporary disability (TD) benefits with the use of sick leave or sick leave and vacation. This selection is made utilizing the Workers’ Compensation Election Form.

That is, to maintain 100% of your base salary, you may elect to use earned sick leave and/or vacation to supplement the TD payments from Sedgwick (which are 2/3 of your average weekly earning up to the state maximum). If all leave accruals are exhausted, the University will supplement your TD payments to maintain your salary at 80% of your base using Extended Sick Leave (ESL). This ESL benefit may not exceed 26 weeks for any injury or illness.

If the 80% ESL benefit has been exhausted and you are still unable to work, you may supplement your TD payments with up to 70% of your base salary through the Employee Paid Disability (EPD) program managed by Liberty Mutual as long as you are enrolled in EPD.