Is your child a perfectionist? Maybe the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree? In today’s episode we discuss perfectionism.
More than 1 in 4 adolescents in the United States identify as being a perfectionist. Perfectionists set high and unrealistic expectations for themselves in everything they do. While children with this trait may have many desirable characteristics such as school and extracurricular successes, it can also lead to significant mental health and self-esteem issues if not addressed. In today’s podcast we review this common trait, what is, how it can develop and how to mitigate the toxic effects of perfectionism.
This episode was written by Drs. Dean Blumberg and Kylie Abeson
- Healthy Children- what creates perfectionism
- Perfectionism in Kids- top 8 strategies
- New York Times- How to help your perfectionist kid
- The problem with perfectionism
- The center for parenting education- perfectionism