Annual credit report: The Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency, wants you to know that there is only one authorized Web site from which to obtain your annual credit report: Many other sites claim to offer “free” credit reports, “free” credit scores, or “free” credit monitoring, but be careful. These sites are not part of the official annual free credit report program. And in some cases, the “free” product comes with strings attached. For example, some sites sign you up for a supposedly free service that converts to one you have to pay for after a trial period ends. Order your free annual credit report using one of the following methods:
     1. Go online,
     2. Call toll-free, 877-322-8228
     3. Mail a request to: Annual Credit Report, P.O. Box 105283, Atlanta GA 30348-5283

Debt Management Programs and Information - Many sites contain this type of information. Most private lenders’ sites have this information too.

Tax Benefits for Higher Education - To determine your eligibility for any tax benefits, consult a qualified tax adviser or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), 800-829-1040. For information, see IRS publication 970, “Tax Benefits for Education” to review your qualifications for the following education tax benefits:

Lifetime Learning Tax Credit
Student Loan Interest Deduction
Tuition and Fee Deduction
Education Savings Accounts
Employer-Provided Education Benefits

Check Your Loan Status Via the Web or By Phone

  • Direct Loan Servicing Online - 800-433-3243: Services all subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Loans. Check the status of your loan account via their site. When checking, remember that it reflects only loan amounts that have been disbursed and reconciled with the loan servicer.
  • Heartland ECSI - 888-549-3274: Services all university-based loans (e.g., Perkins Loans, Primary Care Loans, University Student Loans, Medical Student Loans, Loans to Disadvantaged Students). They also provide deferment forms and other information on their site. Please note: ECSI will not have your loan information until after you graduate. Until graduation, all of your university-based loan information is held by UC Davis Student Accounting, 530-752-3646.
  • Private Lenders: If you received a Stafford/Direct Loan prior to your attendance at the School of Medicine, the best source of information on your loan(s) is through your Federal Student Aid (FSA) account . Your lender may have changed names, been purchased or sold your loans to another entity. Check FSA to find current contact information or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC), 800-433-3243, 8 a.m. to midnight (Eastern), seven days a week.

Managing Your Loan Records - Although your loan servicers keep records of your transactions, it is also important that you keep accurate records. As you repay your loans, items such as canceled checks and letters you receive from your school or a loan servicer might seem like paperwork clutter, but they can be important. Do not throw them out! To be a successful loan manager, always keep your personal records up to date. You might need these records if you ever have to prove to a potential lender that you have responsibly managed your loans (e.g., if you want to borrow to buy a car or apply for a credit card). You should keep:

  • all “borrower” copies of loan documents (such as promissory notes and disclosures) received from your school, the loan origination center and loan servicers
  • bank account statements or copies of money orders used to make your loan payments
  • all loan correspondence you receive from your school
  • all correspondence you receive from loan servicers
  • all entrance and exit counseling material given to you by your school and/or loan servicers

Each time one of your loans is paid off the loan servicer will send you a letter confirming that the loan is paid in full. These letters are important items to keep too.