Safety Training & Operator Training
All PIs and intended MRI users are required to attend a full MRI safety training prior to operation of the scanners, which must be renewed annually. All MRI operators are required to be certified for scanner operation by the IRC Imaging Specialist.
The IRC policy is to have two safety-trained individuals present for an MRI scan at all times. During normal working hours (i.e. 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday), one safety trained individual is needed. For after-hours or weekend scanning, two safety-trained individuals are needed.
There must be a one-to-one ratio of safety-trained lab members to subjects/patients and anyone who may be accompanying these subjects (i.e. parent, other family member). This rule is in effect at all times.
All personnel must have a working knowledge of, and a willingness to follow, all safety requirements.
Safety training is required for all scanner users. This involves an initial on-site training session that includes a lecture, safety video, and a written quiz. Subsequent renewals may be processed online (see below). Safety training must be renewed annually by all active scanner users and safety monitors. If your MRI Safety training has expired, you will need to take the MRI Safety class at the IRC.
MRI Safety Manual
Official safety manual
Please follow the instructions carefully.
- Review the MRI Safety presentation.
- After completing the presentation, download the password-protected MRI Safety Quiz (username is "safety"; you should have received the password from Jerry).
- On the "Safety Questionnaire" complete the following fields:
- Dept/Faculty Advisor
- Student/Employee ID Number
- Select only one box (Y or N) for each question. On question #1 if you have implant(s) list the name of the implant next to "explain".
- Complete the "Self-Assessment of UC Davis IRC MRI Safety Practices". Answer either "Yes" or "No".
- Continue with the "MRI Safety Quiz". Complete the Name and PI fields. There are 30 questions and you must pass with 80% to renew.
- There is only one correct answer for each question on the "MRI Safety Quiz". If you mark more than one box it will be deemed an incorrect answer.
- After completing both the "safety questionnaire" and the "MRI Safety quiz", save the document.
- Send your completed document as an email attachment to Jerry Sonico: email@example.com.
- Jerry will email you the results.
Operator Training and After Hours Training
To become an MRI operator, you must complete operator training, which involves four 2-hour training sessions on the MRI scanner intended for use. To join the next available operator training, please email Jerry Sonico firstname.lastname@example.org.
For scans being performed outside of regular business hours (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm, non-holiday), the individual who is the scan Operator must undergo additional After Hours training. One can be eligible for After Hours training after successful completion of five scans.