Student Evaluation Completion Policy
To outline the expectations for the completion of evaluations pertaining to the curriculum, by medical students
All medical students
8.3 Curricular Design, Review, Revision/Content Monitoring
8.4 Evaluation of Educational Program Outcomes
8.5 Medical Student Feedback
- Evaluations are an important tool that are used for the improvement of teaching, the overall effectiveness of the curriculum and for academic advancement of faculty. Students are essential contributors to the evaluation data collected by the institution. Only through meaningful participation by all students can this process be productive.
- All students are required to complete, at a minimum, 75% of all faculty, small group leader, and preceptor evaluations in each academic term of enrollment.
- All students are required to complete all site evaluations for all required clinical experiences and rotations.
- All students must complete all course evaluations for courses in which they were enrolled, that they completed, and for which they receive a grade.
- All evaluations (faculty, facilitator, site, preceptor, and course) must be completed within 72 hours of the end of the course.
- All students are required to participate in one curriculum-related focus group throughout the course of their medical school enrollment. Participation will be assigned at random by the Assessment, Evaluation, and Scholarship unit.
- Students are expected to use professional language in all evaluations. Comments provided in evaluations should be constructive, respectful, and framed using language that the evaluator would want to hear used if they themselves were being evaluated
- Written comments provided in student evaluations are confidential (i.e., faculty cannot access information about the identity of an individual student who provides comments in an evaluation form). However, if a student submits a written comment in an evaluation form that violates 1) the UC Davis Principles of Community, 2) the School’s Redaction of Narrative Evaluation Completed by Learners Policy, or 3) if there are concerns about student safety or wellbeing, that comment may be subject to review by the Committee on Educational Policy.
- All evaluations will be delivered in a timely manner through the electronic evaluation delivery system. Faculty, facilitator and site evaluations will be assigned on a rolling basis, but no later than the final day of the course. All course evaluations will be assigned on the Monday of the final week of the course. One hour in the final week of each course will be blocked for student time to complete their evaluations.
- If a student fails to complete at least 75% of their evaluations, or any course evaluation, within 72 hours of the end of the course the student’s academic coach will be notified.
- If a student fails to complete at least 75% of their evaluations, or any course evaluation, within 72 hours of the end of the course in any subsequent course, the academic coach will be notified and a referral to the Professionalism Improvement Committee and/or the Associate Dean for Students will be made.
- If a student fails to complete at least 75% of their evaluations, or any course evaluation, within 72 hours of the end of the course for a third or more time, the student will be referred to the Committee on Student Promotions for consideration of a professionalism deficiency.
Assessment, Evaluation, and Scholarship Unit
UC Davis School of Medicine Bylaws and Regulations, Regulation 80 (C): Academic Warning and Academic Probation
Committee on Education Policy
REVIEWED & APPROVED BY
Committee on Educational Policy*
Committee on Student Promotions
Office of Medical Education
REVIEWED DATE and REVIEW CYCLE
April 2022, 3-year review cycle