Timeliness of Summative Assessment and Grades
To outline policies related to the time by which students are required to receive the results of summative assessments and final grades with narrative comments.
All faculty and medical students
9.8: Fair and Timely Summative Assessment
- All required courses will post assessment results (e.g., quiz, exam, OSCE, and NBME) and narrative comments in the evaluation system as soon as they are available.
- All required course’s Course Directors/IORs must submit final grades/marks within 6 weeks of the last day of the course, including narrative comments. Final grade/mark submission should also include any grades of Incomplete (see details pertaining to Incomplete grades in the Incomplete Grade Policy).
- Evaluators and course/clerkship directors must submit summative assessments and final grades with narrative comments into the learning management system. If assistance in this process is needed, evaluators should contact the course coordinator.
- Evaluators needing assistance with rating student performance, or concerns about a student’s performance, should contact the course/clerkship director.
- To encourage the timeliness of final grade submissions, course and clerkship directors will be notified of all evaluators who have not submitted their student evaluations 4 weeks after the end of a required course.
- Failure to submit grades by the deadline, twice in an academic year, will result in a notification to the Committee on Educational Policy and the Vice Dean for Medical Education.
UC Davis, Office of the Registrar
Formative Assessment Policy
Narrative Assessment Policy
Clerkship Experiences and Feedback Policy
Incomplete Grade policy
Office of Medical Education
Office of Medical Education*
Committee on Educational Policy
REVIEWED DATE and REVIEW CYCLE
May 2021; 3-year cycle