Supportive Therapies and Enhanced Palliative Services (STEPS) Team
Who Are We?
A specialty service offered by UC Davis Children’s Hospital, dedicated to improving symptoms and quality of life for children with complex medical needs.
How can I get help from the STEPS team
Ask your child's healthcare team to request a consultation with STEPS or contact us directly.
Pediatric Palliative Care is:
- An additional layer of support to your child/family and your child’s health care team from prenatal care to young adulthood
- Support for you and your child from the time of diagnosis throughout the time of illness regardless of age
- Focused on minimizing suffering and maximizing quality of life
"STEPS team will be there to enhance care in mind, body and spirit, to coordinate care and resources, as well as provide support, hope, healing, and wellness."
– Theresa Murdock-Vlautin, Palliative Care Physician.
The STEPS Team
Our interdisciplinary team includes physicians, nurse practitioners, chaplains, social workers, care coordinators, child life specialists and pharmacists.
How we can help
In collaboration with you, your child and their primary health care team, we develop a comprehensive quality of life care plan to include:
- Pain and symptom management
- Enhanced communication between the family and the primary care team
- Emotional and spiritual support
- Education to assist with diagnosis, treatment options and end of life
- Support for difficult conversations and decisions
- Coordinating inpatient, outpatient, and home care for continuity of care