While teen pregnancies in the U.S. are reaching an all-time low, there are still approximately 750,000 teen pregnancies every year, with a majority being unplanned. In teen pregnancies, it is essential that women are made aware of all the options available to them. Options for an undesired or unsafe pregnancy may include having the baby, adoption, or terminating the pregnancy, also known as abortion. With new abortion restrictions making headlines recently in various states across the U.S., we review this important medical option and why availability to safe and timely abortions is crucial to the health and well-being of women and teens. Be sure to listen to the full episode to learn more about abortion.
- Healthy Children Help Pregnant Teens Know Their Options: AAP PolicyExplained
- Healthy Children Confidentiality for Teens Considering Abortion: AAP Policy Explained
- Plan C Abortion Pills: Frequently Asked Questions
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Abortion Care FAQs
- Infectious Diseases Society of America Reducing Access to Safe and Legal Abortion: Infectious Diseases and Health Equity Impacts
Photo from HealthyChilren.org