Douglas S. Gross, M.D., Ph.D.
1140 Tupper Hall
Dr. Gross holds joint appointments in two departments. For the Department of Cell Biology and Human Anatomy, he teaches Gross Anatomy to medical students and is course director for an undergraduate course in Human Anatomy. In the Department of Pediatrics, he is a practicing pediatrician at the University of California, Davis Medical Center, seeing patients in the Urgent Care Center. He also participates in the clinical training of medical students and pediatric interns and residents. He is a member of CA-11, California’s federal Disaster Medical Assistance Team, a rapid-response team trained to supplement local medical care in a disaster setting. Dr. Gross is also the Medical Director of UC Davis School of Medicine’s newest student-run clinic, RIVER, a mobile pediatric medical clinic bringing primary care services directly to communities in need.
In addition to his teaching and clinical duties at UC Davis, Dr. Gross is involved in numerous global health activities, including leading medical teams to Central America and Africa to provide medical care to remote villages with little or no access to medical services. He has worked with the World Health Organization to help develop and implement their worldwide program to reduce infant and child mortality, Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI). He currently is the director of a project within the University of California Haiti Initiative to improve the quality of pediatric care at the only free public state hospital in Haiti.
- CHA 101/101L, Human Anatomy (Course Director)
- MDS 471: Human Architecture and Function (Course Director)
- Peds 430, Pediatric Clerkship
- Emil M. Mrak International Award, Cal Aggie Alumni Association, 2016
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, UC Davis School of Medicine Alumni Association, 2014
- Hibbard Williams Award for Extraordinary Achievement, UC Davis School of Medicine, 2011
- Kaiser Foundation Hospitals Annual Award For Excellence in Teaching Basic Sciences, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, 2011
- Community Service Award, University of California, Davis, 2010
- ASUCD Excellence in Education Award, UC Davis Associated Students, 2009, 2012
- Distinguished Scholarly Public Service Award, University of California, Davis Academic Senate, 2007
- C. John Tupper Prize for Excellence in Teaching, 2006
- Grand Marshall, UC Davis Picnic Day, 2006
- City Team Ministries Disaster Relief Appreciation Award, 2006
- Distinguished Teaching Award, UC Davis Academic Senate, 2005
- Association of American Medical Colleges Humanism in Medicine Award, Pfizer Humanities Institute, 2003
- Golden Key International Honour Society, Honorary Faculty Inductee, 2003
- Kaiser Foundation Hospitals Annual Award For Excellence in Teaching Basic Sciences, University of California, Davis School of Medicine, 1983, 1999, 2003