Craig Watson, M.D., Ph.D.
4860 Y St., Suite 3700
Craig Watson specializes in medically intractable epilepsy, hippocampal sclerosis, lesional epilepsy, nonpharmacological epilepsy therapy, and neuroimaging in epilepsy, especially quantitative volumetric MRI of medial temporal lobe structures. Dr. Watson also has research, clinical, and educational interests in neuroanatomical correlates of neurological disorders.
Varade P, Rayes M, Basha M, Watson C. Pearls and oy-sters: ictal syncope in a patient with temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurology 2013 Apr 16;80:e172-e174.
Watson C. Basic Human Neuroanatomy: A Clinically Oriented Atlas, 6th Edition. 2012. Lulu.com, (print and electronic versions).
Atkinson M, Juhasz C, Shah J, Guo X, Kupsky W, Fuerst D, Johnson R, Watson C. Paradoxical imaging findings in cerebral gliomas. J Neurol Sci 2008 Jun 15;269:180-183.
Fuerst D, Shah J, Shah A, Watson C. Hippocampal sclerosis is a progressive disorder: a longitudinal volumetric MRI study. Ann Neurol 2003 Mar;53:413-416.
Watson C. Hippocampal sclerosis and the syndrome of medial temporal lobe epilepsy. Expert Rev Neurotherapeutics 2003 Nov;3:821-828.
Fuerst D, Shah J, Kupsky WJ, Johnson R, Shah A, Hayman-Abello B, Ergh T, Poore Q, Canady A, Watson C. Volumetric MRI, pathological, and neuropsychological progression in hippocampal sclerosis. Neurology 2001 Jul 24;57:184-188.
Cendes F, Li LM, Watson C, Andermann F, Dubeau F, Arnold DL. Is ictal recording mandatory in temporal lobe epilepsy? Not when the interictal electroencephalogram and hippocampal atrophy coincide. Arch Neurol 2000 Apr;57:497-500.
Li LM, Cendes F, Andermann F, Watson C, Fish DR, Cook MJ, Dubeau F, Duncan JS, Shorvon SD, Berkovic SF, Free S, Olivier A, Harkness W, Arnold DL. Surgical outcome in patients with epilepsy and dual pathology. Brain 1999 May;122:799-805.
Watson C, Jack CR, Cendes F. Volumetric magnetic resonance imaging: Clinical applications and contributions to the understanding of temporal lobe epilepsy. Arch Neurol 1997 Dec;54:1521-1531.
Watson C, Cendes F, Fuerst D, Dubeau F, Williamson B, Evans A, Andermann F. Specificity of volumetric magnetic resonance imaging in detecting hippocampal sclerosis. Arch Neurol 1997 Jan;54:67-73.
Watson C, Nielsen SL, Cobb C, Burgerman R, Williamson B. Pathological grading system for hippocampal sclerosis: Correlation with magnetic resonance imaging-based volume measurements of the hippocampus. J Epilepsy 1996 April;9:56-64.
Watson C, Andermann F, Gloor P, Jones-Gotman M, Peters T, Evans A, Olivier A, Melanson D, Leroux G. Anatomical basis of amygdaloid and hippocampal volume measurement by magnetic resonance imaging. Neurology 1992 Sep;42:1743-1750.
- Kaiser Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching Clinical Sciences, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine. 1989, 1993, 2018
- Award for Excellence in Teaching of Clinical Medicine, Presented by the Senior Class, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine. 1991, 1992, 1995
- Award for Best Didactic Lectures, Presented by the Graduating Neurology Resident Class, Wayne State University, School of Medicine. 2002, 2008
- College Teaching Award, Wayne State University, School of Medicine. 2004
- Listed in Guide to America’s Top Physicians. Compiled by the Consumers’ Research Council of America, Washington, DC. 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Listed in The Best Doctors in America. 1996-2016
- Listed in Castle Connolly Top Doctors. 2016-2018
- Listed in The Leading Physicians of the World. 2012, 2017
- Educator Award of Excellence. Presented by the UC Davis Medical Center Stroke Program. 2015
- Listed in Top 100 Professionals - 2014. Compiled by the International Biographical Centre. Cambridge, England
- American Neurological Association (Fellow)
- American Academy of Neurology (Fellow)
- Epilepsy Section & Neuroimaging Section, American Academy of Neurology
- American Association of Anatomists
- American Association of Clinical Anatomists
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Society of Neuroimaging
- International League Against Epilepsy