At a Glance
At a Glance
Select highlights from UC Davis Children’s Hospital
- This past year we were re-verified as a level I Children’s Surgery Center by the American College of Surgeons (ACS), the world standard bearer for surgical quality. Our state-of-the-art surgery center coupled with our world-class expertise helps us remain the only hospital in California with this verification.
- Our pediatric surgical patient volume has grown. Since we opened our new Children’s Surgery Center in fall 2018, we have seen a strong increase in the number of children and families we have been able to serve, particularly in pediatric heart and neurosurgery cases as well as medically complex cases.
- In February 2019, the UC Davis Pediatric and Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (PICU) received the Silver-Level Beacon Award for Excellence from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN). It is an honor that involves a rigorous certification process, ensuring institutions have a commitment to nursing excellence, building strong relationships between patients, and improving outcomes and overall patient care satisfaction.
- In fall 2019, we opened our new Pediatric Aerodigestive Center, exclusively designed to provide the best patient-centered care for ear, nose and throat patients throughout the region.
- Three photographs of patients and caregivers at UC Davis Children’s Hospital were selected in the biennial Children’s Hospitals Photo Exhibit — the result of a national competition administered by the Children’s Hospital Association (CHA).
- Our program to honor organ donors and their families with a staff-led honor guard procession expanded hospital wide.
- UC Davis NICU nurse Christa Bedford-Mu was named National Magnet Nurse of the Year for New Knowledge, Innovation and Improvement at the 2019 American Nurses Credentialing Center National Magnet Conference. Created in 2010, the recognition is given to five nurses annually for their outstanding contributions in innovation, consultation, leadership and professional risk-taking.
- UC Davis Children’s Hospital hosted a Social Determinants of Health in the 2019 Children’s Hospital Seminar. It explored ways that health care professionals can provide support to patients and families in crisis.