This warm dish is perfect on a cold day as a side dish or as a snack. It's low in fat (4 grams), with only 162 calories and 5 grams of protein.
Serving size: 1 cup
- 4 cups diced winter squash, peeled, and cut into half-inch pieces
- 2 tsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 small orange, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss squash and 1 tsp. of canola oil in a bowl.
- Place the squash/oil mix on a baking pan. Roast for 40 minutes or until brown.
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a hot pan, brown onions with remaining 1 tsp. of canola oil. Add cranberries and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients, plus the rice and squash. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- Serve warm.
This recipe is a favorite of UC Davis Health registered dietitian Margie Junker.