A prelude to establishing the Center for Diagnostic Innovation was UC Davis Health’s 2018 Diagnostic Innovation Collaborative Seed Grant Program. Led by the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, the seed grant program funded by a philanthropic gift with matching contributions from 18 UCD departments and units.
The collaborative spirit that created this seed grant program and the faculty’s enthusiastic response demonstrated the strong creative interest in diagnostic innovation at UC Davis, as well as the opportunity for the substantial impact to patient care. The success of the 17 funded projects, illustrated in the examples listed below, inspired planning for CDxI to ensure ongoing opportunity for innovation, collaboration, and quality improvement in diagnostic medicine to improve health.
- A Breath Test for Opioids
- Diagnostic Utility of Raman Spectroscopy in Characterizing Cytologically Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules
- Clinical Implications of Reclassification Using High-Sensitivity Troponin
- Application of Artificial Intelligence in Detecting Canine Left Atrial Enlargement on Thoracic Radiographs
- Plasma HDL Compositional and Functional Alterations in Alzheimer's Disease: A Diagnostic Discovery Pilot Project