USMLE Step 2CK Policy
To outline the deadline by which medical students must complete the USMLE Step 2CK exam, the process for requesting an exception to this deadline and the process for remediating a Step 2CK exam failure.
All medical students
8.4 Evaluation of Educational Program Outcomes
- All students are required to pass the USMLE Step 2CK exam in order to graduate from the School of Medicine. Students are allowed a finite number of attempts at the USMLE Step 2CK, as specified in the School's Bylaws and Regulations.
- Students who do not pass USMLE Step 2CK on the first attempt will be placed on Academic Warning. Students who do not pass USMLE Step 2CK on the second attempt will be placed on Academic Probation. Failure to pass the exam after the maximum number of allowable attempts (as specified in the School's Bylaws and Regulations) is grounds for a dismissal recommendation by the Committee on Student Promotions (CSP).
- Students who do not pass USMLE Step 2CK on the first or subsequent attempt must work with the Dean of Students and the Office of Student Learning and Educational Resources to develop a plan to prepare for and retake the exam. All plans for remediation of USMLE Step 2CK must be approved by CSP.
- June graduates
Students who intended to graduate in June must take and complete their USMLE Step 2CK on or before December 31, of the year prior to their June graduation. It is recommended students complete Step 2 CK by August 31, so scores are available for their residency application.
- December graduates
Students who intend to graduate in December must take and complete their USMLE Step 2CK on or before June 30, of the year in which they intend to graduate.
- Students who have completed core clinical clerkships planning to take a year off for research, to pursue an advanced degree or other academic enrichment experience, must complete Step 2CK prior to beginning their year off.
- Students who wish to request an exception to this policy will need to make that request via e-mail to the CSP Chair. June graduates must submit the request by October 15, of the year in which they are required to take Step 2CK. December graduates must submit their request by April 15, of the year in which they are required to take Step 2CK. Requests for an exception to the deadlines should be received no less than one week prior to the above dates and include an explanation of why the delay is being requested and a proposed take and complete date. CSP will review the request and make a final determination about whether or not the request will be approved.
- Students who do not meet the deadlines or fail to request an extension outlined in this policy, without prior written approval from the CSP, will be placed on academic warning and will be required to come to CSP for a discussion of their actions and formulation of a plan to complete USMLE Step 2CK.
Committee on Student Promotions
UC Davis School of Medicine Bylaws and Regulations, Regulation 60 (2) (A)
Extending the MD Program Policy
Committee on Student Promotions
Committee on Student Promotions*
Associate Dean of Students
REVIEWED DATE and REVIEW CYCLE
January 2023; 2-year cycle
* indicates the policy owner