Our Awards and Accolades
UC Davis Center for Simulation and Education Enhancement Medical Director Ian Julie, M.D., MAS, received a SEED research grant from CITRIS and the Banatao Institute in June 2020. The research project is focused on augmented reality video-assisted clinical care for remote management of COVID-19. Working with a colleague at UC Santa Cruz, Julie aims to extract clinically useful information from a live video stream, augmented with patient information such as blood oxygen saturation level, respiratory rate and heart rate in real-time. The goal is a tool to enable clinicians to rapidly evaluate COVID-19 patients, including remotely.
Medical Director Receives Deans’ Team Award
UC Davis Center for Simulation and Education Enhancement Medical Director Ian Julie, M.D., MAS, received the Deans' Team Award for Excellence in Pre-Clinical Medical Education in April 2018 for his efforts to link pre-clinical biochemistry studies with the delivery of patient care. Julie and his colleagues used a hybrid approach incorporating simulation to help students understand how basic science concepts provide an essential foundation for clinical practice. Students used their knowledge of biochemistry to evaluate sick patients and assess lab work – making their pre-clinical studies more meaningful and engaging. This innovative approach and enhancement to the curriculum earned the team a monetary award that will be used to further enrich the team’s work.
- Re-accredited as a Level I Comprehensive Education Institute through the American College of Surgeons through 2023 (2018).
- Surgical Simulation Fellowship program is accredited by the American College of Surgeons (2017).
- Certified test center for the SAGES Fundamentals of Endoscopy (FES) program (2017).
- Certified test center for the SAGES Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS) program.
- Took a lead role in initiating the UC Simulation Consortium (2012-2013).
- Accredited as a Level I Comprehensive Education Institute through the American College of Surgeons.