UC Davis Health Executive Chef Santana Diaz and Executive Sous Chef James Ablett give you step-by-step instructions for this dish in this Facebook Live.
- 15.5 oz. can garbonzo beans
- 2 1/4 tsp. chickpea flour
- 3/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 tsp. chopped parsley
- 3/4 tsp. cajun spice
- 1 1/4 tsp. tumeric
- 1 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 1/4 tsp. granulated onion
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 1/4 Tbsp. water
- Rinse garbonzo beans throughly in a colander with water.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Scoop out of food processor and form equal sized cakes (about 4 cakes).
- Sear in a pan with hot oil for 2-3 mins on each side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165.
Spring pea hummus
- 2 cups English peas, blanched
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 8 mint leaves
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Place peas, mint, lemon juice, salt, cumin, and coriander in a food processor. Pulse 4-5 times.
- Turn on the food processor and slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pulse again 8-10 times, or until fully incorporated.
- Place in an airtight container for 2-4 days in the refrigerator.
Red wine and vanilla vinaigrette, with asparagus and carrot salad
- 4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. minced shallot
- 1 1/3 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 3/4 cup olive oil (80/20 blend)
- 1/4 of a vanilla bean
- Scrape vanilla from the bean.
- Add all ingredients, except olive oil, into a mixing bowl.
- Mix ingedients in bowl with a whisk. Slowly pour in oil while continuing to whisk.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Use potato peeler to create ribbons of asparagus and carrots.
Overall assembly of chickpea cake and spring salad
- Place some of the asparagus and carrot salad on a plate. Drizzle vinaigrette on top of the salad.
- Add chickpea cake on top, with a dollop of hummus to finish it off.
This whole food, plant-based, gluten-free meal was created by UC Davis Health Food and Nutrition Services.