The UC Davis Serology Laboratory will be transitioning to a new LIS – EPIC Beaker – in June 2023. The Harvest Webportal will be sunsetting and going forward we will be utilizing PhysicianConnect. Please refer to the “Online Results Portal” tab for additional information.
Coccidioidomycosis Serology Laboratory - Specimen and Processing Information
- Serous body fluids (pleural, peritoneal, pericardial)
- Synovial Fluid
Unacceptable for Testing
- Bronchial Alveolar Lavage Fluid
- Grossly purulent fluids
- Wound drainage
- 2 mL (human)
- 1 mL (veterinary)
- 0.5 mL (human and veterinary) *
*The qualitative immunodiffusion screen will be performed on an unconcentrated specimen which may decrease sensitivity. Quantitative immunodiffusion will be performed to obtain a serology titer.
- Gross hemolysis or icterus may affect visualization of reactions by immunodiffusion
- Gross lipemia may cause interferences with complement fixation
Specimen Storage and Stability
- Ambient: 72 hours (aliquoted serum)
- 2-8oC: 7 days (aliquoted serum)
- -20oC: 2 months (aliquoted serum)
For specimens outside these stability limits, please contact the laboratory
Specimen Collection and Processing
Allow serum samples to clot at room temperature. Please separate serum from cells prior to sending. Even when using serum separator tubes, serum should be transferred into another tube as the chemical composition of the serum can change and potentially affect results.
For CSF and other body fluids, a sterile container without anticoagulants or other additives is appropriate.