Deans' Award for Excellence in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Recipients
Javier Lopez, M.D.
- ....a strong and dedicated advocate for marginalized populations within the community
- Dr López has been providing pro bono publico clinical care for our underserved population of African Americans and Spanish-speaking Latinos at the Imani clinic in Oak Park, Sacramento since 2017.
- He has developed a monthly cardiology specialty clinic at Imani which has been offering cardiovascular consultations successfully for the past 6 years. At the UC Davis student-run free clinics, in addition to clinical care, he provides education for students on cardiovascular disease prevention, cultural humility, equity and inclusion in this community-based setting.
- …started a hypertension management program better known as PreventionForward
- During the COVID pandemic, he shifted his education and kept Wellness Program participants up-to-date and motivated to maintain safe practices.
- “Dr. Lopez exemplifies what it means to have an unwavering commitment to underserved communities. Uninsured and socioeconomically underprivileged individuals make up the population that Imani Clinic primarily serves. Understanding the disparities and barriers that our population faces requires humility, and this is a quality that Dr. Lopez continuously demonstrates in and out of the clinic.
Verónica Martínez Cerdeño, Ph.D.
- A long history of leadership in community outreach to K-12 students as well as to the general public.
- Many of her volunteers are women and underrepresented minorities in STEM and therefore they serve as role model for students from similar backgrounds.
- Created the LUNAS Project (Latinos Unidos en el Autismo y sus servicios).
- Contributions are particularly impressive in light of our outstanding research record with consistent NIH funding and her exemplary output of published work.
- Janice F. Bell, Ph.D., M.P.H., M.N., F.A.A.N.
- Jill G. Joseph, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H.
- Kupiri Ackerman-Barger, Ph.D., R.N. (Education/Teaching)
- David Cooke, M.D., F.A.C.S. (Community Engagement)
- Jorge Garcia, M.D. (Education/Teaching)
- Patrick Marius Koga, M.D., M.P.H. (Community Engagement)
- Swati Rao, M.D. (Community Engagement)
- Jann Murray-Garcia, M.D., M.P.H. (Community Engagement)
- Tonya L. Fancher, M.D., Ph.D. (Community Engagement)
- Sergio A. Aguilar-Gaxiola, M.D., Ph.D. (Community Engagement)
- W. Ladson Hinton, M.D. (Research)