- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes into 1 1/4 inch cubes.
- Cut off ends of brussels sprouts and remove any yellow outer leaves before rinsing.
- Vertically cut brussels sprouts in half. Using a steaming basket, steam brussels sprouts for about 5 mins. Use a knife to check for al dente.
- Place steaming basket in an ice bath until completely chilled. Drain brussels sprouts.
- Cut butter into 1/4 inch cubes. Place in a saucepan on medium heat. Melt until butter becomes brown. Cool immediately.
- In a medium bowl, mix the sweet potatoes and halved brussels sprouts with olive oil, browned butter, salt and pepper. Coat well.
- Transfer vegetables to a well-sprayed baking sheet.
- Roast vegetables for 35 to 40 mins. until brussels sprouts are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the vegetables evenly.
- Sprinkle with salt when finished roasting. Serve immediately.
**Recipe courtesy of UC Davis Health Executive Chef Santana Diaz and the Food and Nutrition Services team.