Call for all Children’s Miracle Network Grant Applications
Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) Grant applications are now available for FY 2023/2024 grant funding. Grants must have a primary focus on directly improving the health and welfare of children, particularly those served by the UC Davis Children’s Hospital, and will be accepted from any UC Davis faculty and staff member (dependent on the grant category). Grants are two years in duration and requested funds cannot exceed $50,000 (maximum total for two years).
The Mission of the Children’s Miracle Network
The CMN at UC Davis Children’s Hospital is dedicated to connecting and inspiring community support for the healthiest future of the children and families we are privileged to serve.
Minimum Criteria for Grant Applicants
- Applicants for general research grants may be submitted by full-time junior faculty with senior faculty mentor(s) and full-time staff (e. nurses, pharmacists, dieticians, therapists) in partnership with an established research faculty member as co-PIs.
- Applicants for general research grants must be at the Assistant Professor level (or by early stage Associate Professors) on the due date of the application.
- Applicants for clinical services grants may be submitted by faculty, staff and employees of UC Davis Health and the UC Davis campus.
- Applications must support the CMN mission (see above) and are required to indicate how the project/research contributes to the UC Davis Health Clinical Strategic Plan.
- All previously funded CMN grant recipients must submit a progress report with their application.
- Currently CMN funded faculty or staff are not eligible to submit an application within the grant category in which they are currently funded.
- Applicants may apply for only one grant per year per category.
CMN Grant Application Workshops
CMN FY Funding 2023/2024 Timeline
- CMN grant applications must be completed and received by the deadline date of Friday, February 24 by 5:00 p.m. PST. There will be no exceptions made to the deadline.
- CMN grants are reviewed, and competitive proposals selected for funding.
- The CMN Executive Committee makes final decisions for funding for FY 2023/2024.
- Letters on funding decisions will be sent out to applicants for FY 2023/2024.
End of June 2023
- New accounts are created and provided to recipients with a start date of July 1, 2023.
General Research Grants
- Research grants may be submitted by junior faculty with senior faculty mentor(s) and full-time staff (i.e. nurses, pharmacists, dieticians, therapists) in partnership with an established research faculty member as co-PIs.
- Research Grant applications must have a primary focus on directly improving the health and welfare of children, particularly those served by the UC Davis Children’s Hospital. In the grant application, the applicant must clearly indicate how the project/research contributes to the UC Davis Health Clinical Strategic Plan. This information will be a component of the grant review and considered when ranking the applications.
- Research Guidelines (pdf)
- Research Grant Application (pdf)
- Biographical Sketch (docx)
Clinical Services Grant
- These funds support projects or equipment that enhance the clinical care of children and contributes to the CMN and UC Davis Children’s Hospital missions, and the UC Davis Health strategic goals. Previous examples of funded applications include the following: Development of the Children’s Hospital Critical Care Transport Program, Cooling Program in the NICU, and equipment for new program development improving the lives of children. The amount of funds awarded each year will be determined by the CMN Executive Committee and CEO of the UC Davis Medical Center.
- Clinical Services Grant Guidelines (pdf)
- Clinical Services Grant Application (pdf)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the mission of the Children’s Miracle Network (CMN)?
Dedicated to connecting and inspiring community support for the healthiest future of the children and families we are privileged to serve.
What type of grant can I apply for?
- General Research Grant (two-year award)
- Clinical Services Grant (two-year award)
How do I submit my grant?
Applications must be completed and received by the specified deadline, Monday, February 24, 2023 at 5:00 PM. Applications must be completed and submitted as one PDF file by the specified deadline by electronic mail to CMN Grant applications, HS-UCDavisCMNgrant@ucdavis.edu All pages should be numbered in sequence starting with the Signature Page of the application. No applications will be accepted as hard copies or after the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered and administratively triaged.
Who is eligible to apply?
Research Grants: Academic Senate and Federation full-time faculty at the assistant level with senior faculty mentor(s), and full-time staff (i.e. nurses, pharmacists, dieticians, therapists) in partnership with an established research faculty member as co-PIs.
Clinical Services Grant: Academic Senate and Federation faculty at the assistant, associate or professor level, and staff of the UC Davis Medical Center and UC Davis campus.
Are Volunteer Clinical Faculty eligible for CMN grants?
No. CMN Grants are only available to Academic Senate and Federation faculty and staff of the UC Davis Medical Center and UC Davis campus.
Can I apply for more than one CMN grant in the same funding cycle?
Yes. Applicants can apply for one grant per year per category (i.e., Research, Clinical Services). Applicants cannot apply for multiple grants under the same category.
Can I apply for a grant if I already have a grant from the previous fiscal year?
Funding requests will only be considered if the P.I.’s Final Report for any prior CMN grant funded has been received. Concurrent awards and applications for new awards within the same category are not permitted; if an applicant has a currently funded CMN research grant the application will be administratively triaged.
Can two junior investigators be co-PIs on a CMN proposal with senior faculty as mentors, or can only one be PI?
Yes, two junior PIs are permissible provided senior faculty mentors are included.
Can I include equipment in our itemized budget?
Yes. Equipment can be included in the itemized budgets. Funding will only be considered if other sources of funding are not available (e.g., capital equipment, hospital unit budget, departmental budgets). Grants that include equipment purchase must include date and evidence of prior attempts for funding and the source denial.
Funds cannot be requested for personal devices such as, but not limited to, the following: iPad, iPhone, laptops, or desktop computers unless for patient use.
Regarding equipment requests, is an email sufficient to document that equipment funds have been requested and denied?
While documentation on letterhead is preferred, an email that has the signature of the sender is acceptable.
In the budget justification would partial salary support for a research analyst be considered an eligible expense?
Do I need to include the biosketch for the statistician?
If the statistician is faculty then yes.
Does the application need to be circulated through the Office of Research?
No. This is an intramural funding program and the application should not be circulated through the Office of Research.
Can CMN funds be used for licensing or certification?
Requested funds cannot be used for licensing or certification.
Can CMN funds be used to support a research assistant for interviews?
Depending on the title of the assistant (not a faculty or similar) such personnel support can be considered.
How do I make changes to my funded grant?
All funds are to be used for the purposes stated in the original grant application. Any proposed change in P.I., use of funds, staffing, or related budgetary items must be submitted in writing with a clear justification and approved prior to any changes being made. Requests must be sent to the Executive Director of Patient Care Services for review and approval by the CMN Executive Committee.
Once a decision has been made the approval or denial document will be filed with the original grant application in the CMN administrative file. The CMN accountant will make any appropriate adjustments to the account based on the decision. The grantee will be notified in writing of the decision. This process does not apply to extension of expiring grant funding. All extension requests must be made in writing by March 30th and will only be approved by the UC Davis Children’s Hospital CMN Executive Committee before the grant funding ends in June.
If funds for a conference are requested, must the attendance be within the funding cycle?
Requested funds cannot be used to attend conferences.
What will happen with the funds if they are not spent by the expiration date?
All unspent funds will revert to CMN at the expiration date of the award.
When will I know if my application was approved?
Letters on funding decisions will be sent to applicants for FY 2023/2024 in June 2023.
Who do I contact regarding questions on my submission?
Shelina Bali - CMN account manager at (916) 734-8513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who do I contact regarding questions on my account?
Brittany Phillips – Finance Manager - (916) 734-5743 or email@example.com.
For further information or questions regarding the application process, please contact Cathy Montes by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.