Call for R01 Application Program
Faculty and Professional Development is pleased to announce the 3rd annual call for applications from UC Davis Health faculty for the R01 Application Program (RAP) for Fall of 2023. Applications will be accepted August 1, 2023 – September 8, 2023. The RAP program will begin on Wednesday, October 18, 2023.
RAP is part of a fully integrated approach to advance research at UC Davis Health by providing training and support to early career faculty to become successful, independent researchers. It is a cohort-based, selective, mentored program for new investigators to create, submit, and obtain their first NIH R01. Preference will be given to faculty who have previously obtained pilot or training grant-level funding for research. Candidates must also have a mentor in place who is familiar with their project and willing to participate in all aspects of the program. See details below for eligibility and session dates.
R01 APPLICATION PROGRAM (RAP) GOALS
This year the RAP will be a 2-part series. Part 1 is a three-month commitment from October through December of 2023 to focus on R01 writing preparation. This will include conceptual development, study design, and strategies for success, with the goal of generating a solid Specific Aims page by the end of the three-month course. Part 2 will start in early 2024 to focus on writing, reviewing, and submitting a fully developed R01. Participation in Part 2 will require a separate evaluation process with a complete Specific Aims page and study design.
Our program is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in science and we would especially welcome applications from historically underrepresented racial, gender, and ethnic groups to promote equity in obtaining grant funding.
- The R01 Application Program is comprised of integrated dynamic workshops, R01 progress presentations, and peer review accountability sessions.
- Participants will receive specialized training, guidance, and camaraderie. Activities and resources designed to provide participants with the tools and knowledge they need to write a successful R01 application (e.g., proposal writing seminar, mock review) will be provided to participants.
- Guest speakers with established track records of external funding will join us for group sessions.
- Self-directed peer group activities where participants will share and review proposal sections, provide constructive feedback to one another, and address problems and needs.
- Final application materials will be reviewed by our grantsmanship team, experienced researchers with a strong track record of obtaining R01-level grants
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS AND SESSION DATES
- Candidates must have a joint or full faculty appointment with UC Davis Health.
- Must be willing to commit to full program.
- Part 1 session dates:
- Wednesday, October 18, 2023, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Cohort Mentoring Session
- Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. – Lecture
- Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Cohort Mentoring Session
- Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. – Lecture
- Wednesday, December 6, 2023, 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. – Lecture
- Wednesday, December 13, 2023, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. – Final Part 1 Cohort Session
- Bimonthly individual mentoring sessions (1 hour) with guest mentor TBD
- Participation is limited to faculty members who have not yet been Principal Investigators on R01 grants.
- Candidates must have a doctoral or other clinical terminal degree (e.g., Ph.D., M.D., D.V.M.)
- Candidates must have a mentor who is familiar with, or part of the project.
- Mentor must be familiar with your project and willing to provide support.
- Mentor must be willing to participate in bi-monthly mentoring sessions.
- Mentor must be willing to review their mentee’s grant.
- Mentor must be willing to participate in a Mock Study Section.
Candidates will be asked to submit a formal application at https://bit.ly/R01ApplicationProgram23 by September 8, 2023.
Applications will need to include (in Word or PDF format):
- Project Summary (Max 500 words)
- NIH Bio-sketch (docx)
- Statement of Commitment (signed by Chair) (docx)
- Mentor Agreement Letter (docx)
Please write all documents in lay terms.
For questions regarding registration or the training please contact Lizz Peters at: email@example.com.