UC Davis Health prepares affected Anthem members with information and options
Anthem Blue Cross has extended its contract termination date by 60 days until February 29, 2024. If negotiations for a new agreement are not reached by that date, UC Davis Health will be considered out-of-network for Anthem Blue Cross members beginning March 1, 2024*.
As you may know, these negotiations do not affect the in-network availability of UC Health facilities and providers for UC-sponsored Anthem Blue Cross health plans, except for the UC Residents and Fellows Anthem Blue Cross HMO Plan.
- More specifically, the Anthem Blue Cross-UC Health negotiations do not apply to:
- UC employees and retirees who have coverage through the UC Care, UC Health Savings and UC Core plans
- UC students with UC SHIP coverage
- UC medical residents and UC clinical fellows in the UC Residents and Fellows Anthem Blue Cross PPO plan
- UC retirees who have UC-sponsored Medicare supplemental coverage through the Medicare PPO, Medicare PPO no Rx and High Option plans
The following Anthem-covered patients will be affected:
- Patients who selected an Anthem Blue Cross plan through the California Public Employees’ Retirement System
- Patients who selected an Anthem Blue Cross plan through their employer
- Patients who purchased an Anthem Blue Cross plan in the Covered California marketplace
- Patients with Medicare Advantage plans administered by Anthem Blue Cross
- Patients with Medi-Cal plans administered by Anthem Blue Cross
- UC medical residents and clinical fellows who are enrolled in the Anthem UC Medical Residents and Fellows HMO plan
*This date reflects a two-month extension of the termination date. While this date has changed, the overall agreement with Anthem Blue Cross remains under negotiation. UC Davis Health continues to be deeply concerned about access to UC care for Anthem Blue Cross members.
Currently, access to UC Davis Health for all Anthem Blue Cross members remains unchanged.
As a team member at UC Davis Health, you may receive questions from Anthem-insured patients who received communications from us about the current situation. We want you to be prepared with the latest details, so we have posted information about this online. You can direct patients to this web page to help answer their questions and for the latest updates. Also, a list of health insurance plans accepted by UC Davis Health is available here.
UC will continue negotiating with Anthem Blue Cross for single-digit cost increases, allowing us to continue paying our health care teams and remain financially sustainable. UC Davis Health will update patients and providers on this situation, especially in February, as the deadline to reach a new agreement approaches.