AANS Medical Student Chapter
UC Davis School of Medicine
AANS Medical Student Chapter
The American Association of Neurological Surgery (AANS) Medical Student Chapter at UC Davis provides support for medical students who wish to pursue neurosurgery as a career or want to gain more exposure to the field. This student-led group works closely with the Department of Neurological Surgery to offer its members opportunities for mentorship, skill development, research, and networking.
Learn more about AANS Medical Student Chapters.
To become a chapter member and join our mailing list, please contact email@example.com.
- President: Gregory Disse
- Vice President: Austin Clark
- Secretary and Treasurer: Harjot Virk
- Faculty Advisor: Kiarash Shahlaie, MD, PhD
- Resident Advisor: Amir Goodarzi, MD
- October 26, 2021 – “What is Neurosurgery” with Dr. Shahlaie
- November 2021 – Student Panel: “Getting involved in research as a medical student”
- “Medical Student Neurosurgery Bootcamp” with Dr. Shahlaie and Current Residents
- “Complex Spine Surgery” with Dr. Allan Martin
- Student Led Case Discussion: Moyamoya Disease (moderated by Dr. Goodarzi)
- “Pediatric Neurosurgery” with Dr. Zweinenberg
- Student Led Case Discussion: TBI (moderated by Dr. Shahlaie)
- “Applying into Neurosurgery” with Current Residents
- “Why Neurosurgery” with Dr. Shahlaie
Opportunities in Neurological Surgery for Medical Students
Coursework (Preclinical & Clinical)
Brain and Behavior Block
Clinical (MS4 Year):
NSU 460 – Clinical Neurosurgery
NSU 470 – Advanced Clinical Neurosurgery
NSU 465 – Neurocritical Care
Opportunities to perform Basic, Translational, and/or Clinical Research with numerous faculty and residents in the Department of Neurological Surgery (See sample Funding Opportunities Below)
AANS Medical Student Chapter Events (Faculty Talks, Bootcamps, Mystery Cases), Neurological Surgery Grand Rounds, Resident Journal Club, Tumor Board, Shadowing
The AANS Medical Student Chapter encourages its members to take advantage of the diverse research projects being conducted by numerous faculty and residents in the Department of Neurological Surgery. Below are some examples of opportunities in which medical students can get involved.
The following are a list of useful resources for medical students:
- Medical Student Neurosurgery Training Center provides hands-on and web-based neurosurgical education to medical students around the world without economic, institutional, or geographic barriers.
- orgis your resource for getting advice and insights from neurosurgeons, residents, and students to help you lock in your residency.
- The Neurosurgical Atlascontains the most comprehensive collection of advanced microneurosurgical techniques.
- Essential Neurosurgery for Medical Students Supplement
- UC Davis Medical Student Research Fellowship (4 Weeks – 1 Year)
- UC Davis CTSC TL1 Predoctoral Fellowship (1 Year)
- NREF Medical Student Summer Research Fellowship (8 Weeks)
- CNS/CSNS Medical Student Summer Fellowship in Socioeconomic Research (8-10 Weeks)
- OHSU Campagna Scholarship (10 Weeks)
- [MD/PhD] NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein Individual Predoctoral National Research Service Award (Up to 6 Years)
Upcoming Conferences and Outside Events
- April 2022 – AANS Annual Meeting (Philadelphia, PA)
- October 2022 – CNS (SF)