AANS Medical Student Chapter
UC Davis School of Medicine
AANS Medical Student Chapter
The American Association of Neurological Surgery (AANS) Medical Student Chapter at UC Davis provides support for medical students who wish to pursue neurosurgery as a career or want to gain more exposure to the field. This student-led group works closely with the Department of Neurological Surgery to offer its members opportunities for mentorship, skill development, research, and networking.
Learn more about AANS Medical Student Chapters.
To become a chapter member and join our mailing list, please contact email@example.com.
To find out about upcoming events, join our mailing list at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Examples of Past Events
- Neurosurgery Bootcamp for Medical Students
- Chapter Fieldtrip to the CNS Annual Meeting
- Advice on Applying into Neurosurgery
- Resident Panels
- Introduction to Subspecialties: Pediatric Neurosurgery, Complex Spine Surgery
- Mystery Case Discussions
Our monthly newsletter includes announcements about upcoming events and opportunities and highlights different faculty members in the Department of Neurological Surgery. Sign up to receive the next newsletter at email@example.com.
Opportunities in Neurological Surgery for Medical Students
Coursework (Preclinical & Clinical)
Brain and Behavior Block
Clinical (MS4 Year):
NSU 460 – Clinical Neurosurgery
NSU 470 – Advanced Clinical Neurosurgery
NSU 465 – Neurocritical Care
Opportunities to perform Basic, Translational, and/or Clinical Research with numerous faculty and residents in the Department of Neurological Surgery (See sample Funding Opportunities Below)
AANS Medical Student Chapter Events (Faculty Talks, Bootcamps, Mystery Cases), Neurological Surgery Grand Rounds, Resident Journal Club, Tumor Board, Shadowing
The AANS Medical Student Chapter encourages its members to take advantage of the diverse research projects being conducted by numerous faculty and residents in the Department of Neurological Surgery. Below are some examples of opportunities in which medical students can get involved.
Medical Student Research at the UC Davis School of Medicine
NREF Medical Student Summer Research Fellowship
The following are a list of useful resources for medical students:
- Neurosurgery 100 is a YouTube series created by the Congress of Neurological Surgery. Each week the CNS releases 2 new videos covering topics across all neurosurgical subspecialties. The videos are 15 minutes pax and cover a broad overview of each topic.
- Medical Student Neurosurgery Training Centerprovides hands-on and web-based neurosurgical education to medical students around the world without economic, institutional, or geographic barriers.
- Neurosurgery Matchis your resource for getting advice and insights from neurosurgeons, residents, and students to help you lock in your residency.
- The Neurosurgical Atlascontains the most comprehensive collection of advanced microneurosurgical techniques.
- Essential Neurosurgery for Medical Students Supplement
- UC Davis Medical Student Research Fellowship (4 Weeks – 1 Year)
- UC Davis CTSC TL1 Predoctoral Fellowship (1 Year)
- NREF Medical Student Summer Research Fellowship (8 Weeks)
- CNS/CSNS Medical Student Summer Fellowship in Socioeconomic Research (8-10 Weeks)
- OHSU Campagna Scholarship (10 Weeks)
- [MD/PhD] NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein Individual Predoctoral National Research Service Award (Up to 6 Years)