Neurological Surgery Student Information
Welcome to Neurological Surgery
Welcome to the Department of Neurological Surgery student page. Here you will find information regarding the courses and internships we offer, and some additional resources to enjoy.
If you are a medical student who is interested in neurological surgery we encourage you to visit Oxford Academic's website and read the free digital version of: Essential Neurosurgery for Medical Students Supplement edited by Daniel L. Barrow, M.D. and Bernard R. Bendok, M.D.
Special Study in Neurosurgery for Advanced Undergraduates
(Course #199) Prerequisite: advanced undergraduate standing with consent of instructor. Students may participate in ongoing neurosurgical projects or may pursue and design independent projects.
(Course #299) Prerequisite: graduate student with consent of instructor. Student may participate in ongoing neurosurgical projects or may pursue and design independent study projects.
Post Graduate Internship Courses
(Course #460) Clinical activity - full time (3 days per unit, 4 weeks minimum). Prerequisite: third or fourth-year medical student and consent of instructor. Approved for graduate degree credit. Admission and follow-up of patients. Neurological history, examination and further diagnostic procedures are emphasized. Students participate in surgical procedures and attend all conferences, rounds and seminars.
Advanced Clinical Neurosurgery
(Course #470) Clinical activity - full time (4-12 weeks). Prerequisite: fourth-year medical student in good academic standing. Student will function as an acting intern on the neurosurgery service. Admission and management of patients. Neurological history, examination, diagnostic procedures, and surgical management are emphasized. Students participate in surgical procedures and attend required conferences and rounds.
- Participate in the care of Cerebrovascular Disorders patients
- Participate in the care of Brain Tumor patients
- Participate in the care of Pediatric Neurosurgery patients
- Participate in the care of Spine and Peripheral Nerve disorders patients
- Participate in the care of Neuro Critical Care/ICU/Trauma patients
- Participate in the care of patients undergoing neurosurgical Stereotactic and Functional procedures
- Particpate in minor procedures (LP, LD, EVD, arterial line, etc)
- Participate in the OR during opening and closing of cases
- Observe the key and critical portions of cases in the OR
- Participate in the outpatient clinic care of neurosurgical patients
- Attend relevant clinical conferences
- Give a brief lecture on a clinical or research topic of your choice