Fleet Services is a fundamental component of the business processes of UC Davis Health through the acquisition, maintenance, repair and inspection of a range of vehicles within the health system. Fleet contributes to the overall environment of care, safety, reliability, economical and sustainable services to UC Davis Health departments, patients and staff allowing each the capability of achieving their respective functions in a time-efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Vehicle Lease and Rentals
- Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Services
- DMV Pull Notice System
- Accidents/Damage Reporting
- Vehicle Asset Management Records
- Regulatory Compliance
Contact Fleet Services
Fleet Services Office:
916-734-2498 - Administration
916-734-1012 - Technical
4900 Broadway, Ste. 1600
Sacramento, CA 95820
7 a.m. – 4 p.m., Mon – Fri
Telematics is a method of collecting data from the vehicle computers, sensors, and GPS. Data is used to report trip mileage, fuel use, vehicle speed, engine faults, emissions compliance, and even the state of charge of EV and hybrid vehicles. This information is then transmitted over a network, typically cellular, for storage and analysis.
Benefits of telematics inlcude:
- Visibility and Tracking — Insight into location of vehicles through a GPS system.
- Maintenance — Telematics devices can pull engine data directly from the vehicle. This can help identify problems so that the shop can schedule the vehicle in for diagnosis before there is a major failure. It can also help to set up a more accurate schedule for preventative maintenance based on actual usage instead of time based.
- Safety — Since the data can identify driving behavior, it can help identify coaching opportunities for safety. Some of the driver behaviors that it can identify are speeding, harsh braking/accelerating, harsh cornering, and seat-belt use. Audio alerts are activated to warn drivers when speeding occurs and when their seatbelts are not buckled.
- Cost Reductions — Telematics can identify excess fuel usage from idling or identify more efficient routing.
- Compliance — Telematics can report emission status for CARB smog reporting, tracking hours of service for commercial drivers, and pre/post trip inspections.
UC Davis Health Fleet Services also uses telematics data for a variety of additional reasons, including: reports on fleet utilization, trip optimization, fuel and idling patterns, identifying vehicles that can be switched to EV, business decisions, and safety considerations for driver coaching. See policy BFB-BUS-46: Use of University Vehicles, Section V. PROCEDURES, subsection B.4 (page 7)