UC Davis Health is committed to prioritizing Evidence-Based Practice. Nurses, working as part of the interdisciplinary healthcare team, use research to provide evidence-based care that promotes quality outcomes for individuals, families, and our community aligned with our mission to provide science-based, technologically precise, compassionately delivered nursing care. The term “evidence-based practice” includes not only the use of best available research evidence but also considers internal evidence, patient preferences, resources, and clinical expertise in care delivery.
Evidence implementation at UC Davis Health follows the Advancing Research through Close Collaboration (ARCC) Model (Melnyk, B. & Fineout-Overholt, E, 2002). The ARCC Model includes infrastructure, culture and organizational systems as components central to facilitating and sustaining EBP (Figure 1). The EBP Process is also outlined in a step-by-step process to support clinicians in conducting EBP (Figure 2). The attached flyer presents full details regarding the ARCC Model and Figures.
To facilitate development of EBP infrastructure and local expertise, the Center for Nursing Science partnered with the Helene Fuld Institute for Evidence-based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare out of Ohio State University to host a series of EBP workshops. Past and upcoming EBP workshops and activities including:
- Fuld-UC Davis Health 5-Day EBP Immersion, EBP Mentor Training & 1-Year Project: May 1-5, 2023
- West Coast 5-Day EBP Immersion, EBP Mentor Training & 1-Year Project: October 30-November 3, 2023
- Fuld-UC Davis Health 2-Day Leading EBP Immersion: November 6-7, 2023
- Fuld-UC Davis Health 2-Day Leading EBP Immersion: February 1-2, 2022
- Fuld-UC Davis Health 5-Day EBP Immersion, EBP Mentor Training & 1-Year Project: August 22-26, 2022
- Fuld-UC Davis Health 2-Day Leading EBP Immersion: August 29-30, 2022
- West Coast 5-Day EBP Immersion, EBP Mentor Training & 1-Year Project: December 12-16, 2022
- Unit-based Practice Council Presentation by EBP & Research Council Member (by request)
EBP and Research Council
The EBP and Research Council is comprised of nurses, advanced practice providers, and researchers across UC Davis Health. The council meets monthly and is involved in the following activities: educate on evidence implementation and research processes; review and consult on nursing research conducted at UC Davis Health; provide infrastructure and resources to support nurse-led evidence implementation, research and innovation; and offer programming to highlight and disseminate projects across the health system. The EBP & Research Council, in collaboration with the Center for Nursing Science hosts a number of workshops throughout the year, along with the annual Nursing Science and Professional Governance Conference. If you are interested in joining the EBP & Research Council, send an email to email@example.com.
The Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) Fellowship was launched in 2017 to provide mentored support for nurses to learn about EBP and implement practice change in their units based on the best available evidence. Nurses interested in implementing EBP in their units should consider the EBP Fellowship.
Additional EBP resources are noted and linked below. Consultation with our Clinical Nurse Scientists is always available, as well.