The ongoing competency management project is currently piloting in selected units.
The knowledge, skills, and attitudes of nurses develop over time to meet the needs of the community we serve. Having a meaningful way to maintain ongoing competence is essential to:
- Ensuring safe care is delivered
- Meeting legal and regulatory standards
- Evaluating individual and group performance
- Enhancing performance
- Addressing areas of challenge
Ongoing competencies should reflect the ownership, empowerment, and accountability that nurses at UC Davis Health have over their practice. Competencies are collaboratively identified by unit/dept. leadership and direct-care staff to reflect the new, changing, high-risk, or problematic aspects of work in their area. Unit/dept.-level identification contributes to the ownership of competency management. Direct-care nurses are empowered to bring forth the evidence of their competence using a verification method of their choice. Unit/dept. leadership are accountable for supporting direct-care nurses in achieving our mission and ongoing competence.
- Clinical Policy 19014: RN Competency Evaluation/Testing
- Donna Wright’s competency assessment introduction (video) – Donna explains her model in 3 minutes
- Using OnRole to Manage your own Competencies (video) – 5 minute introduction to OnRole Platform
- User guide for managing competencies and how to upload using a mobile device (PDF)
- Log into UC Davis Health OnRole
OnRole contacts for questions or platform support: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-242-0386 (ext.12)