Clinical rotation requirements
A clinical instructor is paired with 6 to 10 students in patient care area(s) for 5 to 12 hours, 1 to 2 days a week.
Important dates to remember
2-6 months prior to the start of clinical:
- If your school has not already submitted eHR access request forms, please submit and allow 3 to 4 weeks for eHR access form to be processed
- Request clinical conference room (PDF)
2 weeks prior to the start of clinical:
- Schools are responsible for providing the following information to the unit nurse manager and the CPPN nursing school liaison:
- Names of students
- Dates and time of clinical experience
- Faculty/student contact information
- Clinical faculty will meet with the nurse manager or unit designee to review the following topics:
- Student learning objectives
- Projected clinical grids (student unit assignments with dates)
- New equipment or unit changes
- Unit preferences for clinical prep time
- Communication and/or issue resolution
- Unit Improvement Initiatives
- Feedback from previous clinical rotations
- Pyxis Access: e-mail Guy Neal with student names, start and end dates and assigned units.
Prior to the student performing patient care, the clinical faculty must:
- Confirm that all students have fulfilled the requirements outlined in the School Affiliation Agreement. Schools are responsible for maintaining the following required documentation for students & faculty, available within two hours by request.
- Mandatory Annual Training
- HIPAA Training
- Documentation of core competency training for faculty & students
- Background Checks
- Immunization Records
- Current CPR cards
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of liability insurance
- Complete the required unit orientation checklist for students and new instructors. Send a copy of the Faculty Orientation Checklist (Excel) and Instructor’s Orientation Checklist for Student Clinical Groups (Word) to email@example.com.
- Clinical/preceptor faculty is responsible to orient students to the UC Davis Health eHR documentation and any needed updates. If the clinical faculty is unfamiliar with UC Davis Health eHR, please contact Sabrina McKinney to register for a UC Davis Health eHR class.
- Every fall semester, go to Medical Illustration in Ticon III to obtain a UC Davis Health renewal of your clinical faculty ID badge with card key access.
If you have a questions or concerns, please call (916) 734-9790 or e-mail the CPPN school liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org.