Advanced expertise for common and complex adult and pediatric cases
The Department of Surgery at UC Davis Health offers a suite of outpatient surgery services and excellence in patient-centered care for elective and urgent referrals across inland Northern California
Plastic Surgery Hand and Upper Extremity Services
Our hands and upper extremities (limbs) are important tools that help us interact with the world around us. We use them every day and when they become injured or compromised, it can have a dramatic impact on our daily lives. Our goal is to help restore the hand and upper extremities to the highest level of function possible.
The Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at UC Davis provides a broad spectrum of treatment and surgery for disorders of the hand and wrist. Our team of plastic and reconstructive surgeons specialize in hand and microvascular surgery and are dedicated to providing comprehensive care for a variety of injuries and pathological disorders affecting hands and upper extremities.
Beginning with your initial consultation, and concluding with your last visit, our multidisciplinary team strives to make your experience a positive one. From the simple soft tissue abnormalities to the most complex reconstruction, our surgeons approach each case individually, with a specialized plan designed to maximize the restoration of both form and function.
We offer state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment expertise for hand, wrist and forearm problems. We address and treat issues including fracture or dislocation, tendon and nerve injury, repetitive stress, arthritis, soft tissue abnormalities, targeted muscle reinnervation and more.
We provide modern, minimally-invasive treatment for common conditions including:
- Endoscopic carpal tunnel release – we are the only surgeons at UC Davis Health to offer this faster recovery option.
- Wide-awake (local anesthesia only) surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome, finger fracture and finger arthritis treatment.
- Wrist and small join arthroscopy for ligament injuries and other painful conditions of the wrist and hand
- State-of-the-art rehabilitation protocols for flexor tendon injuries and other surgical conditions
Super-specialty microsurgical treatment for scaphoid nonunion, Kienbock’s disease and thumb absence (toe-to thumb transfer)
Complete, multidisciplinary care
We collaborate with our colleagues in departments across UC Davis Health – including dermatology, neurology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, radiology and rheumatology – to provide the best available care to our referred patients.
In addition to a world-class patient care, our Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons are among the leading researchers, teachers, and clinicians in the field of hand surgery. As such our surgeons strive to apply the most current technologies and they are at the forefront of research that creates these advancements. Our Plastic and Reconstruction Surgery Division’s clinical and translational research covers a significant range of areas including: Outcomes of surgical techniques of the hand and wrist
- Peripheral nerve regeneration and modeling including biologics and tissue engineering
- Brachial plexus reconstruction
- Tendon healing
- Free tissue transfer
- Extremity prosthetic technologies including novel human-machine interfacing (link to Dr. Schofield’s https://www.bearlaboratory.com/and Dr. Joiner’s lab https://joinermotorlab.weebly.com/ as collaborators)
Mon – Fri, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed weekends and holidays
For appointments, call 916-734-7844.
Please provide 24 notice if you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment.