UC Davis Health is improving lives and transforming health care by providing excellent patient care, conducting groundbreaking research, fostering innovative, interprofessional education, and creating dynamic, productive partnerships with the community.
UC Davis Health is a major driver of economic prosperity in Sacramento region and Northern California. According to a 2010 study (PDF), it generates more than $3.4 billion in annual economic output and more than 20,000 jobs. For every employee or dollar of output directly supported by UC Davis Health's operations, the Northern California economy gains an additional 1.1 jobs or $1.10 of output, respectively. Read more about economic impact.
UC Davis Health harnesses the power of an entire university’s nationally-ranked resources and research to tackle the most pressing health care issues facing the world today. UC Davis Health’s clinicians and researchers include partners working in the nation’s best School of Veterinary Medicine, the nation’s best School of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, one of the nation’s best Colleges of Biological Sciences, and one of the nation’s best Colleges of Engineering – all from within one of the top five ‘Best Public Universities’ in the entire United States.
Providing the region's only academic health center, UC Davis Health is focused on discovering and sharing knowledge and providing the highest quality of care. UC Davis Health is a hub of innovation that encompasses UC Davis Medical Center, UC Davis School of Medicine, The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis and UC Davis Medical Group. Read more about these entities below.
UC Davis Medical Center, based in Sacramento, California, is a nationally renowned academic medical center where clinical practice, teaching and research converge to advance human health.
A few highlights about the medical center:
- A 625-bed multispecialty academic medical center
- Serves 33 counties covering a 65,000-square-mile area north to the Oregon border and east to Nevada
- Recognized as one of the “Most Wired” hospitals in the U.S.
- Ranked Sacramento's top hospital by U.S. News & World Report, and among nation's best in 11 medical specialties.
Centers of excellence include:
- UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center, one of only 41 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive centers nationwide
- State-of-the-art emergency departments that include the region's only Level I adult and pediatric trauma centers
- The internationally recognized UC Davis MIND Institute, devoted to finding treatments and cures for neurodevelopmental disorders
- UC Davis Children's Hospital, a nationally ranked pediatric hospital with more than 120 physicians in 33 pediatric subspecialties
- A pioneering telehealth program, which gives remote, underserved communities access to academic specialty and subspecialty care
To learn more, visit the medical center site.
UC Davis School of Medicine is one of the nation's leading medical schools, recognized for its research and primary-care programs. The school places in the top 20 percent of institutions in the country for research funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and is home to one of the nation’s inaugural Clinical Translational Science Centers.
- A national reputation for life-changing biomedical discoveries
- A passion for clinical care and a commitment to engaging people from underserved communities and advancing rural health
- Fully accredited master’s degree programs in public health and in informatics
- A combined M.D.-Ph.D. program that is training the next generation of physician-scientists to conduct high-impact research and translate discoveries into better clinical care
To learn more, visit the medical school site.
The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis advances health and ignites leadership through innovative education, transformative research and bold system change. Founded by the nation’s largest grant for nursing education in 2007, leaders at the School of Nursing develop programs that keep pace with ever-evolving health care and educate a new breed of nurse leaders.
The School of Nursing’s visionary leadership propels research in five focus areas: chronic disease management, health technology, pain management, Healthy People and Healthy Systems. Faculty come from a wide range of backgrounds including nursing, business administration, sociology, gerontology, medicine, information technology and psychology. School of Nursing students engage in classrooms and clinical environments with students in the School of Medicine, health informatics and those in other health-related programs.
A few facts about the school:
- Offers five graduate-degree programs, including Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Science ― Leadership, Master of Health Services ― Physician Assistant Studies, Master of Science ― Nurse Practitioner and Master’s Entry Program in Nursing.
- First classes admitted for the Master of Science ― Leadership and the Doctor of Philosophy degree programs in fall 2010
- Assumed certificate nurse practitioner and physician assistant programs from UC Davis School of Medicine in 2013 and elevated programs to master’s-degree level
- Added master’s-degree program for new nurses in 2016
- When full enrollment is reached by 2022, the school is projected to serve roughly 420 students in all programs
- Established in March 2009 with a $100 million commitment from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
The School of Nursing cultivates academic excellence and addresses urgent, societal needs through leadership development, interprofessional education, transformative research, cultural inclusiveness and innovative technology. The school plays a critical role in preparing nurse leaders who will shape the future of health care and inform health policy. The investment made here redefines the role of nurses in the 21st century and moves toward a system that benefits all who depend on it.
To learn more, visit the School of Nursing’s website.
UC Davis Medical Group is a 1,000-member physician group offering nationally-renowned primary care and specialty expertise in more than 150 areas of health care.
- Physician offices in Sacramento and in nine other communities around the region, from Auburn to Elk Grove to Davis
- Accepts most major health plans
- Same- and next-day appointments for urgent care
- Many offices offer on-site or telehealth consultation with UC Davis Medical Center specialists
- Online communication with your doctor's office
To learn more, visit the medical group site or call 800-2-UCDAVIS (800-282-3284).