Latino Medical Student Association
The Latino Medical Student Association (LMSA) is a network of students, alumni, and health professionals who are interested in the health and well-being of the Latino community, dedicated to providing social and professional support for Latino students, and committed to increasing cultural awareness within our medical school community. LMSA was founded in 1986 to increase the number of Latinos and other underrepresented students in medical schools throughout the country. It is our belief that allowing a diverse array of students into medical school will ensure that all sectors of society receive quality access to healthcare. Through our outreach and community service efforts, we continue to inspire hundreds of students to become culturally competent physicians who are determined to serve all sectors of society. With these thoughts in mind, we continue to work towards strengthening our efforts in developing future physician leaders who will continue to open the doors of opportunity.
Anyone, Latino or not, is welcome to participate. If you are interested in working with underserved populations as a medical student/future physician, and/or if you want to reduce healthcare disparities through cultural awareness and community service involvement, then this is the group for you. We work closely with SNMA (Student National Medical Association) at the UC Davis School of Medicine who also have similar goals, to carry out many community service activities, high school outreach programs, health fairs, and other events that focus on working with underserved populations in the local community.
Some of the events and programs we plan include:
- Medical Spanish course
- Health policy events
- Cultural events
- Social events
- Presentations on important topics pertaining to the Latino community
- Mentorship with UC Davis undergraduates in Chicanos in Health Education
- Outreach activities to pre-medical students in local community colleges
- Regular meetings with the Sacramento Latino Medical Association
- Regular meetings with the LMSA West Regional Board
- Women’s Circle – Women in LMSA meet with female physicians and residents to discuss how to overcome challenges faced by Latinas in medicine
- Men’s Circle – Men in LMSA meet with male physicians and residents to discuss how to overcome challenges faced by Latinos in medicine