NOTE: For the 2021-2022 academic year, we are following guidance set forward by the Coalition for Physician Accountability and the Association of American Medical Colleges. Availability of away rotations may be limited.
For Prospective Residents
The Office of Student and Resident Diversity (OSRD) aims to diversify our residency programs while supporting residents' unique needs. Whether you completed medical school at UC Davis or another institution, we are committed to making you feel welcome here!
Diversity in Medicine Visiting Elective Program
Fourth-year medical students from other schools may choose to take an away rotation at UC Davis School of Medicine, especially if they are interested in matching into a UC Davis residency program. The Diversity in Medicine Visiting Elective Program provides support for fourth-year students who are underrepresented in medicine and/or from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. Students who are LGBTQI+, first generation, and/or living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
I strongly feel my success on the residency interview trail was a direct product of the time and wisdom shared with me by Dr. Garcia and others I met through participating in VEP.
Mark Moubarek, M.D.
VEP Scholar, 2018-2019 Resident Physician, Class of 2022 UC Davis Department of Emergency Medicine
Students in the program will receive:
- Reimbursement of travel costs (up to $500) to and from Sacramento
- $500 food allowance
- Reimbursement of UC Davis application processing fee ($300)
- Reimbursement of housing expenses (up to $1500)
- Unique networking opportunities with OSRD and student interest groups
Eligibility: Eligible participants are full-time, fourth-year medical students in good standing at accredited U.S. medical schools. Students remain registered at their own schools while participating in the four-week elective at UC Davis. Each student must complete an application form through the American Association of Medical Colleges’ Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) Application Service.
- Apply for your chosen electives in VSLO at aamc.org/vslo. Your scholarship application will not be considered without a complete VSLO application.
- Fill out the Visiting Elective Program application at bit.ly/UCDVEPapp.
- Send a Letter of Intent (1 page maximum) and any supplemental materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with "VEP [your name]" in the subject line.
- In this letter, please explain your path to medicine, your demonstrated interest in serving underserved communities, and your interest in practicing at UC Davis and/or Northern California.
- For rotation start dates in July-September: Friday, June 4, 2021
- For rotation start dates in October-January: Friday, July 30, 2021
If you have any questions about the Visiting Elective Program, please contact Shea Hazarian at email@example.com.
Other Visiting Student Resources
The following academic departments offer their own scholarship programs for visiting students. Please click on the program to learn more.
For more information on applying to a fourth-year elective at UC Davis, visit the Office of the Registrar's Visiting Medical Students page.
Residency Recruitment Programs
OSRD collaborates with individual residency programs to showcase how each program promotes diversity, equity and inclusion as part of the larger UC Davis Health community. Some programs hold Diversity Day events concurrent with residency interviews, while other programs hold Second Look events after initial interviews. If you are a residency applicant interested in one of these programs, please reach out to the residency program directly.
If you are a representative from a UC Davis residency program, please visit our Info for Residency Programs page.
Matched at UC Davis?
Welcome to our new UC Davis residents! We are so excited to meet you. Check out some of the resources available to you on our Current Residents page.